Monster Hollowing System Upgraded Adapter

Dan Mosley

I have had my Monster hollowing system for many years now and it has worked well for me - I have enjoyed hollowing with this system but ran into some trouble when I started using a 3/4 snake bar - Originally I had a adapter that would fit into the front block of the system that would accept the 3/4 bar (See Pic #3) - it worked well for a short time then with the set screws secure it began to move in the block slightly but enough to make hollowing a bit of a chore because i had to stop the lathe straighten it and retighten it up - After much fiddling with regrinding and trying other ideas i threw in the towel and contacted Monster Tools, explained the problem and had a new adapter made - I put it to work yesterday and it worked perfectly and hold the bar solidly - Thumbs up to Monster Tool for a outstanding job and im glad the quality stays outstanding.

Picture 1 - just a phot shot of the rig set up on the lathe
Picture 2 - Close up of the Adapter in the front bar
Picture 3 - The Old adapter and the new improved adapter
Picture 4 - Vesssel unfinished - silk oak - sanded to 800 - 2 coats of Danish oil (a touch of amber transtint mixed in to add a bit of light color), 0000 between coats - will probably
shoot for 3-4 total and buff - final coat 1-2 of Mylands wax polish

Attachments

• 20140805_195918.jpg
    20140805_195918.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20140805_195929.jpg
    20140805_195929.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 44
  • adapter-2.jpg
    adapter-2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20140805_200215.jpg
    20140805_200215.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 43
Yeah, that looks like it should hold. :thumb:

Todd and Michelle have done a great job taking over Monster Lathe Tools since Randy passed away a couple of years ago. They've worked very hard to maintain the product quality and customer service that Randy was famous for delivering. Plus they've added several new tools and accessories to the line-up in the process. (And yes, this sounds like a commercial...I am biased because they're friends of mine and I work for them, but I've also been a first-hand witness to the effort they've put into the company over the past couple of years or so.) ;)

Nice-looking hollow form, too. (Do you ever take photos of them after the tenon has been removed?) :D

Ted ------- Yep that will hold up to almost any torque ill put on it

Vaughn ------- Todd has been doing a great job on keeping things going as far as i can see - I will always continue to support Monster Tools because since Randy forward the support and tooling has been top notch - I do not work for or have any interest in the company - I own the Monster hollowing rig and have never regreted anything about the purchase or support. To me the ability to talk directly with Todd (or Randy in the past) about my problems or questions about tooling has always been the biggest plus of all.

Ok Vaughn fair enough........LOL see attached pic - Red Euc - 2 coats Danish oil - 0000 rub between coat and after - then 2 coats of Mylands Traditional Wax Polish - each hand rubbed down

Attachments

• 20140806_202148.jpg
    20140806_202148.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, I was a Monster customer long before I started helping Randy with the website. Then when Todd and Michelle took over, things have gotten a bit busier as they've added new products.

... Red Euc - 2 coats Danish oil - 0000 rub between coat and after - then 2 coats of Mylands Traditional Wax Polish - each hand rubbed down

That's better, lol. :clap: :thumb: