Dad's Workshop

Chris Mire

well here are a few pics of what will soon be my temp shop. It is my dad's new shop and I will soon be building one either the same size or slightly bigger.

It's 30x54 with a 10' eave height. 6" metal stud construction with roof trusses instead of beams. It very easy for a homeowner to assemble. All that is needed is a little help from friends to lift stuff into place. It's all joined by self tapping screws.

what you're gonna see took me and my dad about 6 hours of prep work getting the base plates drilled and bolted to anchor bolts. Then we built the end walls (these 2 walls do not have trusses) After the prep work was done we called in the troops for an early saturday morning start and by noon we had the building up and stable. There was still alot of work to be done running all the channels around the sides on 3' centers and on the roof as well. The building is much further along now but my dad lost the urge to take pictures as the process went along. No need to worry I will be fully documenting the build of my shop so you can see the full process take place.

I'll try to get some pics today of where we stand right now. we are basically done with all 4 walls and are ready for roofing.

The concrete slab was done by others, but when we checked the diagonals for square it was out by 1/8". I'd say thats purty darn close!! :D

thanks for looking
chris

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 50
  • shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 24
  • shed2.jpg
    shed2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 26
  • shed3.jpg
    shed3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 17
  • shed4.jpg
    shed4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 26
  • shed5.jpg
    shed5.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 22
  • shed6.jpg
    shed6.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 14
  • shed7.jpg
    shed7.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for sharing Chris. I hope the progress your Dad has made will get documented for his own good. It is always good to have pics of various stahes of construction for insurance purposes as well as you can use them as reference.

Looks like it should work out well Chris....and a old boy told me this one once " A 1/8" is probably rough enough" Yeah it is definately close enough. Look forward to the completed pics. :thumb:

Looks good Chris, it's nice when you can learn some of the mistakes on your Dads shop before you build yours. Can you share where you purchased the building kit from?

Interesting to see this kind of construction. It's not for me (give me wood anytime), but I do like to see how it works.

What's with all the massive shops that many members here have. :confused: :congrats: or are going to have. My friends think that my shop is big, but it could drown in a lot of the shops of Family Woodworking members.

joe,

unfortunately he has pics from the slab, the very beginning of the shop and i think maybe up to the first sheeting going on the walls. i guess he really hasn't missed that much. i'll make sure he gets pics from here on out.
as for using his as reference, this one is the second one i have been involved with building. a friend built one the same style and size but with 14' eave height. Not to mention, he built 3 before his and some one he knows built some before those. So we've kinda got a colaborative effort going. by the time i build mine i'll hopefully have most of the kinks worked out. i already have a bunch of ideas to make it faster and easier.

steve,

yes 1/8 is good enough, considering my friends slab for his shop which was the same was almost an inch out in the diagonal. luckily we were able to just lay the shop base plate square and go from there.

Ken,

gonna send you a pm

Frank,

well in a perfect world where i had the money to build the shop the size i NEED out of wood, you better believe i would be doing that. unfortunately i am not able to accomplish both of those. so my needs for space came first.
it probably would have cost me 3 to 4 times what it cost to build this one.

and although this isn't my shop, mine will be this size, actually i'm checking to see how much it will add to the cost to add another 6' to the length. the reason i need such a massive shop is that i plan to be doing woodworking for a living very soon. and i don't wanna have to add on later.

thanks steve

thanks for the comments everyone. i'll try to get some more pics with the walls up later.

thanks

chris, no matter what sized shop you build in 5-10 yrs it`ll be to small. all of us woodworkers are pretty much the same in that good deals on lumber and tools are hard if not impossible to pass up. that`s not to talk about our 753 unfinished projects that eat up valuable floor space, wall space and on occasion back yard space:D ....if you don`t mind me askin` what`s the frame running? not counting the skin,roof or slab...thanks, tod

tod,

unfortunately I know you are right. and someday i prolly will add on. but hopefully not for at least 5 years or more.

and no i don't mind. it will be hard to break it down because i don't know what everything costs separately. my building is 30x54 with 12' eaves, and for everything, including frames for the a roll up door, entry door and 3 windows, mine ran me right at 7800. i believe that the cost of their metal went up right after that so it may be more now. hopefully that gives you a pretty good idea of what it would cost. she is supposed to be calling me back with the price to add 6' to the length, when she does i'll ask what the break down is for you.

thanks
chris

thanks chris! that`s waaay cheaper than a wood structure even buying the wood wholesale. do you know what the wind/snow ratings are for this type of construction? long term my plans are to change locations and i`d like to explore all different construction types and this is one i`m not firmilar with....this is 16ga steel right?thanks, tod

tod,

i don't have all the specs in front of me. my book i got from them is at home. I'll try and look in there and see what info i can get for you when i get home today.

i do see on my order form that is says 18 gauge steel, so that might make a difference for you. but i am not sure what that is referring to.

check in later this evening i'll try to post more info or if she calls back i'll ask her

chris

What's with all the massive shops that many members here have. :confused: :congrats: or are going to have. My friends think that my shop is big, but it could drown in a lot of the shops of Family Woodworking members.

Well Frank, like the country song says "size matters" :D

As big as mine is (32 x 48) it still is not big enough, but all I could afford at the time.

ok tod, i finally got you a little info.

the buildings frame work is comprised of a mixture of 14-18 gauge steel. The most used gauge being 16. She told me that they engineer the buildings a little different for someone in an area like yours. They do alot of buildings in Montana and Colorado according to her. She also said they do sell alot of them just as the frame work like you had inquired about.

The wind rating on the building is a minimum 120 mph and the snow load is a 30. She did mention however that the 4:12 pitch roof helps the snow to slide off in most cases. She told me what the live load was but someone was in my office and I missed it.

if you have any other questions or would like their contact info just let me know and i'd be glad to help out.

thanks
chris

thanks chris! for now i`m just gatherin` information.....if i decide to move locations it would be 2012 at the soonest........heck by then there may be some weather proof, theft resistant plastic bubble that only cost pennies per foot to erect......heck in 5 yrs i may just switch totally to handtools and work in a little shed........actually that sounds really good right about now:) ..tod