My first bowl (or attempt thereat...)

Roger Tulk

All was going well, until I cut a little too close to the bottom. Turning a bowl is easier than I thought. If I'd stopped to measure again, I would have been OK. This is pine, and the bowl was strictly a practice piece, destined for the firewood box, or to be a parts bowl on my workbench.

DSCF5801.jpgDSCF5802.JPG

The main part of the bowl remained on the chuck, and only the disk from the middle went anywhere. I looked at the black hole where the bottom had been, and it took me a second to realize what had happened.

My daughter who took shop class told me they started with a bowl. Wait until I tell her about this. :D

Well, for sure it seems that you have you chuck gripping problem solved,:rofl:. Try making a bottom from another piece and repairing the "funnel" I have done this and found it a good practice exercise and it doesn't look bad either.
Starting with a bowl would seems like a steep learning curve for a novice like me. It took me a long time to get to turning a bowl.

Turning Rule #17: Never make the inside dimension bigger than the outside dimension. :D Sorry to see about the mishap, but it looks like you had a nice form started.

But you did end up with an impressive piece of designer firewood. :thumb: I know a lot of folks would try to salvage that by turning a plug for the bottom, but to my eye that always looks like a patch job. Sort of like seeing a pink hood on a black Cadillac. ;)

But you did end up with an impressive piece of designer firewood. :thumb: I know a lot of folks would try to salvage that by turning a plug for the bottom, but to my eye that always looks like a patch job. Sort of like seeing a pink hood on a black Cadillac. ;)

As I said, I didn't intend this to go on display. I have four more blanks to make into practice bowls, so I can make a lot of firewood while I'm improving my technique. I have a nice spalted maple blank waiting as well as a couple of other woods, once I get it figured out.

I wasn't getting a very smooth finish on the inside with my bowl gouge, so I cleaned up with my radius scraper. I was using the bowl gouge when I broke the bowl, though, as I wanted to clear out the bottom a little faster than I was.

How about a brushed stainless steel hood on a baby blue Rolls Royce? :D

Stainless Rolls Hood 2 - 800.jpg Stainless Rolls Hood 1 - 800.jpg

Roger, sounds like you've got a good plan in place, working your way up to the nice spalted maple blank. :thumb: