Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plane Till - ver 1, Includes the Wings - Done

Plane Till - ver 1, Includes the Wings - Done

I have been percolating on a wall mounted tool cabinet for years. I thought I finally had it decided on. The wall space available, the location available, what I really want to put in it, etc. all come into play and morph and change over the years. During my last visit to dad's we talked about it and played with some more options; you pick up a lot of wisdom rattling around this planet for 90 years.

End result is that I realized that no matter how cool a doored cabinet with fold out panels looked, and no matter how much I wanted to make one; I would probably never close said doors. The purposes of the doors could be better met by making standalone . . . or rather, hang-alone doored wings (to be seen in a thread shortly following this one). the modular nature of the group will allow me to use them now (instead of waiting till everything's 'perfect') and arrange them much as a doored unit might be arranged in the future . . . or not .

Long story short, I could vacillate forever or commit to a "version 1" which I have. Version one will be BB ply for the most part and sans doors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (0).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	84582

The gallery area in the bottom kept changing so in the drawing shown it is in a state of flux. The rectangular block is just a representation of the space required for a certain plane.

I cut the parts out and finger-jointed them last night. Once dry fit I glued it up.

Name:	Plane Till (1).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	84583 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (2).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	84584 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (3).jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	84585

Today after work I cleaned it up a bit and routed a rabbet in the back for uh . . . the back. A previous version with doors used a 1/2" back. With the reduced carcass stress of a no-doored cabinet, I went with 1/4".

Name:	Plane Till (4).jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	84586 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (5).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	84587

that's it for now.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-13-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Looking good there I like the finger joints an 1/4 backing is purity strong in its self
    https://www.facebook.com/BgCouger

If you are going to make something nice, make it with a statement, use quality an do it right the first time

Looking forward to this build, Glenn. Can't wait until you start on the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    End result is that I realized that no matter how cool a doored cabinet with fold out panels looked, and no matter how much I wanted to make one; I would probably never close said doors...
    It makes perfect sense to me and if my climate was different I would probably entertain doing the same. I keep my tools enclosed in my tool chest in order to keep dust off and so that I can climate control (Goldenrod Dehumidifier) them.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Looking good Glenn.

About 40 years ago I built a nice big tool storage cabnet with only one BIG door. Mistake in design! LOL.

I ended up re-fitting it with four doors, and learned a lesson in planning--lol.

Now I just use open tool storage on the wall, because if I can see them I can't forget where they are<--(LOL)

90 years ago it was 1914. A lot has happend since then. Mostly good .
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Glenn, I am so glad to know you actually got started on this project. Do you feel like a WWII parachutist shouting "Geranamo!!!!"?

For all concerned: Born Dec 31, 1925, minutes prior to midnight. That makes me 89 1/2 plus a few days; it only seems like 100 however.

Enjoy,
    JimB

PS. I got three new really good shoe scrapers in the mail today. I had one and it was a help. However, much to Myrna's dismay, there is more than one way to get from a sawdusty shop floor into a house. Sorry dear, I should have done this years ago.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Smith View Post
    Now I just use open tool storage on the wall, because if I can see them I can't forget where they are<--(LOL)
    Good to hear positive feedback on the open storage. When dad asked me about my planes and shaves getting dusty it led to my startling discovery that they have been setting out for years and the dust has never been an issue. I guess I only thought I needed doors so I could put those cool hinged panels inside them
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Smith View Post
    Looking good Glenn.

About 40 years ago I built a nice big tool storage cabnet with only one BIG door. Mistake in design! LOL.

I ended up re-fitting it with four doors, and learned a lesson in planning--lol.

90 years ago it was 1914. A lot has happend since then. Mostly good .

Better do your math again my Dad died over a year ago & he was 91 years old.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 12-13-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have been percolating on a wall mounted tool cabinet for years. I thought I finally had it decided on. The wall space available, the location available, what I really want to put in it, etc. all come into play and morph and change over the years. During my last visit to dad's we talked about it and played with some more options; you pick up a lot of wisdom rattling around this planet for 90 years.

End result is that I realized that no matter how cool a doored cabinet with fold out panels looked, and no matter how much I wanted to make one; I would probably never close said doors. The purposes of the doors could be better met by making standalone . . . or rather, hang-alone doored wings (to be seen in a thread shortly following this one). the modular nature of the group will allow me to use them now (instead of waiting till everything's 'perfect') and arrange them much as a doored unit might be arranged in the future . . . or not .

Long story short, I could vacillate forever or commit to a "version 1" which I have. Version one will be BB ply for the most part and sans doors.

Name:	Plane Till (0).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	84582

The gallery area in the bottom kept changing so in the drawing shown it is in a state of flux. The rectangular block is just a representation of the space required for a certain plane.

I cut the parts out and finger-jointed them last night. Once dry fit I glued it up.

Name:	Plane Till (1).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	84583 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (2).jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	84584 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (3).jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	84585

Today after work I cleaned it up a bit and routed a rabbet in the back for uh . . . the back. A previous version with doors used a 1/2" back. With the reduced carcass stress of a no-doored cabinet, I went with 1/4".

Name:	Plane Till (4).jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	84586 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (5).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	84587

that's it for now.

Glen you need to install one of these in your plane till/tool cabinet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails digital flux capacitor.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-09-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Nice Glenn I am not far behind you as soon as i get the long list ahead of me done. I will have doors on mine, lets just say its that old SA thing of dealing with too many criminals, old habits die hard. I want to keep insides from prying eyes. and i figure use of wall space depending on where one stands/hangs the cabinet. Like your finger joints, yours came out cleaner than mine but i see you used a better grade of ply than I did. Have vowed after that batch never to be tempted into buying "cheap" (expensive when you consider the time and quality wasted) ply again. This time i really have learnt my lesson on that one.

I do think you have solved a mystery for me. Part of my delay has an element of vacillating over how to layout tools inside my tool cabinet (WIP). Almost all images i could find had shelves and cubby holes, I kept thinking thats fine for the shorter planes but that means a whole shelf for the jointer and planes longer than the width of the unit. Making a plane till side or door solves the problem entirely. Good thinking Batman.

Just to throw a curved ball in here, my unit i plan to mount on a rolling set of draws. I hemmed and hawed over this issue and looked at many images. My thought was that most of what i plan to put into my unit will be hand tools. The idea being 90% of the hand tools will be within the overall unit and being able to roll it over to the part of the work bench i am working on and have them a handy reach away solves putting them back and prevents the "where did i put that effect". I am just tired of having a bench thats cluttered and tools hidden while i work. As for the draws my plan is no draw deep enough to have more than one layer of tools.

In my Dads shop which i got to use growing up, he had a layout something like in this quick sketch. The cab was mounted against the wall (brick and mortar) and the shelves either side above a workbench below. The doors opened outward over shelves and had tools hanging on either side. (note to an exact replica just the concept there was more detail to it). Tools also on the inside. This made good use of available wall space I thought, Funny no lock on it just a pivoting toggle. LOL But it was a pretty small shop.

Name:	dads tool cab.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	84616
    cheers

Wow, I may just make a "Weekend project" out of this weekend project; that'll be a first for me . I have had this piece of 1/4" red oak veneer plywood following me around for years. I know it looks too good and will be covered up but, at least I can get some use out of it. I didn't boether to square the corners of the rabbets, I just rounded the corners of the back instead.

Name:	Plane Till (6).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	84619

The sled and stop block come into play to cut the gallery top/bottom. I just realized I didn't take any pictures of my cutting the dados but, most of us know how that goes.

Name:	Plane Till (7).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	84620

I use the tools themselves to double check my final gallery layout.

Name:	Plane Till (8).jpg 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	84621

The original plan for the dividers was for symmetrical parts so I could minimize waste (one cut yields two mirror image parts). I found enough scrap 1/4" BB ply to do the job so I just squared up three sides, ganged them with painter's tape and drew my curve. Again I used the actual tools to verify my curve. There's nothing to tick you off like building a fixture that is difficult to use.

Name:	Plane Till (9).jpg 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	84622 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (10).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	84623

For a cut with this precise of a requirement I employ my most modern, sophisticated and accurate curve-cutting device. Otherwise known as my $50, garage sale, 1970's Delta bandsaw.

Name:	Plane Till (11).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	84624 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane Till (12).jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	84625

I go ahead and lay some shellac on these so they can dry while I cut out the two end pieces of the gallery.

Name:	Plane Till (13).jpg 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	84626

OK, so here's a dry fit. I am pretty happy with it so I will glue 'er up. The gallery, like the till, will be a separate fixture screwed into the carcass. That way I can change things down the road.

Name:	Plane Till (14).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	84632

The empty slot on the extreme right is for the Lee Valley Large Shoulder Plane some loved one may buy me for Christmas (I can always hope).

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Glen you need to install one of these in your plane till/tool cabinet.
    If no one gives me a shoulder plane for Christmas I can use the Flux Capacitor to go back in time and have them try again
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-10-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke