World record pistol shot

well Mack ya got me thinking and the round he used has a mussel velocity of 975 ft/sec. If the shot had been a straight one without having to compensate for the drop of the round and if the velocity didn't decrease due to the resistance of the air then it would take a little over a second but since he aimed above the target by quite a bit the round traveled in a parabola so now it become a physics problem. My head hurts trying to figure the actual distance traveled.

If ya look at the timer on the movie it took a little over 3 second which could very well be true.

Last edited:
Well if anyone can do it, Jerry can, that guy is good. Of course if I had S&W sponsorship, unlimited amounts of ammo, and lived in a subdivision setup for shooters I might have a chance too. ;)

Probably some dynamics in there being a wheel gun and looks to be a 7" or so barrel also, so getting a little more distance with that barrel length and the fact it's not having to drive a slide.

Seeing this I guess I will be selling my target rifles and just using a pistol. Much easier to carry around.

We have a 600 yard range that has pits below the targets. When in the pits you hear the supersonic crack and see the impact on the berm then a second or so later you hear the sound from the firing line. That is with speeds around 2500 fps.

So with start speed of 950 fps around 3+ seconds for 1000 yards sounds about right.

Checked it on a ballistics table using 950 fps - Time 3.6 secs - speed at 1000 yards 710 fps - drop at 1000 yards 165 feet

Jerry is not only an accurate shot but he is almost as fast as a full auto weapon when shooting a revolver. Incredible reflexes!

Not doubting the shooter's ability with a hand gun, but I'm very skeptical:
  1. I doubt if he could even see the balloon at 1,000 yds., most likely saw the white metal panel.
  2. The bullet shrapnel broke the balloon, not the bullet from initial impact.
  3. A 1,000 yd. shot is a sniper shot at best with a sniper rifle & any wind is a factor.
  4. Good publicity though.

"I'm very skeptical:
I doubt if he could even see the balloon at 1,000 yds., most likely saw the white metal panel.
The bullet shrapnel broke the balloon"
----------------------
From the way he shoots Pistol Competitions I would bet he has extraordinary eye site. See the balloon, maybe but the steel plate for sure.
Yes it looked like shrapnel got the balloon. From the mark on the steel it could have caught the edge but either way a great shot.
Yes - I bet he did it as shown - second shot and this was not the 17th try!!

With no wind that steel plate at 1000 yards (maybe about 12x18) I can hit every time with my .308 target rifle. With the rifle at 1000 yards I have 430 inches of drop. I am able to crank that much drop into my scope so no hold off required.

The places I shoot at do not like you to need to use hold off - worried about missing the berm. At the 600 yard range the RO wants to hear all about your adjustments before any shot goes downrange. If you cannot keep it on a 24 x 24 paper you need to look into some other hobby or maybe shorter range shooting. Again worried about a shot over the berm.

To even get access to our 600 yard range you need to qualify at 200, 500 and 600 with an RO watching every shot and letting you explain to him how you are adjusting for it. You can easily tell if someone does not understand the required drop adjustments and how to make them. The 1000 range is a different location but you need to qualify there also.

This brought a nice smile to my face and I was very proud to be able to do it - When qualifying for 1000 yards they had an RO watching 7 of us very closely at 500 yards. I was the new guy from out of town that no one knew. After a few shots I heard him yell to the range master "Pete's OK" very proud moment. Of 7 new shooters that day only 3 or 4 qualified. I am still amazed I can hit anything that far away. They are expanding that range to 1200 yards and plan to move out to 1 mile next year. We will see.

Thanks for the in site Pete. I know from shooting my 270 at 300 yards that there is a lot to consider and cannot even phantom trying to hold a hand gun steady enough to hit that steel plate in 20 trys let alone 2. And yes it was most likely a fragment that broke the balloon but remember he said he was going t brake the balloon he didn't say he would hit it.

I'll second the endorsement of Jerry. He's the most amazing shooter I've ever seen. I have no doubt that what he shows in the video is absolutely true. He has a lot of other impressive vids on YouTube.

He is using a scope on his revolver so that may help. Snipers shoot from 300 yds to just short of 2 miles so 3,000 ft, although impressive, isn't a sniper shot. I know 50 non-military folks here that can do 1,000 sub-MOA all day with a rifle. With a pistol at that range, everything plays into the shot...I'd bet he practices a lot too!

He is good enough to hold steady for that. It was a show biz shot, I believe it happened after a lot of practice. And, yes, it was a fragment that broked the ballon, he only hit the steel plate.

long range shooting is fun and with practice and a good set of lookers and a steady hand you can pull off some good shots. I have won a few beers on bets shooting .22 long rifle at clay birds @ 400 yards. The trick is I never tell them how many shots it'll take.:D I have a very accurate Remington 541-s that will shoot the eyes out of a gnat all day long. My best hunting shot with the rifle was 247 yards on a woodchuck. hit the varmint 2 of 3 shots. I have also taken several deer over 100 yards with my Ruger security 6 wheel gun in .357. It helps using handloads and practicing a lot. I usually hunt with that scoped with a 2 X Leopold. Never had to do any tracking on those deer.