Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for a pup

Need suggestions for a pup

also may be looking for a used side car.
    Wife been telling me for years , don't want another dog in the house. Now she she for my BD i can get a pup. But I need one that when grown will fit into a tour pac on the bike , I'll cut out a Custom top or I'll get a side car. Have not decided yet.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

How about a Sheltie? Pretty, nice personality, and not too big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_Sheepdog
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Non, shedding or very little
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Non shedding or very little, would be Terrier or poodle. Maybe a mix breed with that in it. This would look good in a side car:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	84714
    "We the People ......"

Non shedding limits it quite a bit.

Portuguese water dog: basically a more primitive poodle. Very smart and needs a fair bit of work to make sure they're on your side. We looked at some of these before we got the schnauzers. They're a bit standoffish to strangers but seemed very loyal to thier owner. They're quite smart and need a fair bit of stimulation to keep them happy. We decided against them at the time because we weren't sure we could give the personal time needed.

Schnauzer (either mini or standard): the mini probably sheds a bit less. Very personable and generally quite good natured. Our smallest is 13lbs and the biggest is 20lbs which is about the whole range for mini males. I haven't had a standard personally, they are closer to 30lbs. The minis tend to have a few health problems more or less specific to them, ours are both on no corn, low wheat (in rare cookies only) dog food or they trend to get back pimples. They're also prone to pancreatitis (one of our has a smidge which we've kept in check by keeping the amount of far in his diet down), cataracts (same dog started getting them at 12), getting fat (both of our are OK there and we've free feed them since they were pups), and a few other things. The standard seem perhaps less over bred and generally have fewer specific issues. The minis are watch dogs, they WILL let you know when someone drives up, walks by, a cat is in the yard, etc.

More here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...to_no_shedding

We researched the basenji, can't recommend them for most folks. You need to be with them literally 100% of the time or they can kind of lose it and are really high strung.

The so called *doodles (labradoodles, etc) can be fairly inconsistent and what little I've learned of some of the breeding practices didn't give me a huge amount of confidence in what I was getting. Obviously depends on the breeder some.

I'm also somewhat suspicious of how non shedding some of the dogs on that list are.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I poodle would fit your bill. We have had 2 toys and both were very smart and loving dog. They both thought they were bird dogs and would point. They full size were actually bred as bird dogs.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

We have had a miniature poodle and he was a great dog, I must admit. I was never a poodle fan until my wife adapted the little guy. All I had been around were "yippy" dogs and I hate that, but ours wasn't. Great traveler and friendly to everyone. We now have a standard poodle and she is going to be one of the best dogs we have had. Very intelligent, very loving and just plan fun to have around. They do require grooming, which being a deva, she loves it. She is very active though. Still a puppy, of 9 months and just keeps getting better as she matures.
    Another great, great breed is an Airedale. I've had three of them and would have another in a minute. Just plan great, loving characters, for sure. Also very intelligent. Some can be pretty hyper although non of ours have been once out of the puppy stage. They need room though and exercise. Very loyal.

But don't over look a "mutt". Visit the local Humane Soc. and see what they have available. Mix breeds can have less health issues and of course less expensive. There are many great ones and you save it for the grave.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 08-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    "We the People ......"

I like a dog I don't have to bend over very far to pet. I'll echo Paul and say standard poodles are awesome, intelligent dogs. No shedding, but regular grooming is necessary. For something smaller, the miniature schnauzers I've met have been cool little critters. Still, I'm partial to shelter dogs.

If you go the sidecar route, you can have more than one dog. Here's my buddy Rick with two of his...he's had as many as three.

Name:	Rick and Sidecar Dogs 1 800.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	84715

And don't forget the goggles for the dogs. (Actually, they're called "Doggles", and Rick invented them.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON

Name:	Teddy Bear 027 (Small).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	84716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teddy Boy,  October 2011 (Small)-2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	84717
    Kerry Blue Terriers, the National Dog of Ireland! Teddy is a rescue from the KBT Society. They are always on the hunt for rescuers.

Pic #1, as a pup, and #2 as he is today at about 70 lbs. Non-shedding, smart, loyal, needs some running as exercise. We have a lady that takes him with a few other dogs to the dog park twice a week. He flakes out for the rest of the day when he comes home.

Teddy's the third Kerry for us!

Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

I have a 7 year old Standard Schnauzer (37 pounds) and a one year old Standard Poodle (55 pounds). The Poodle is still 'puppy hyper' but is maturing into a really great dog. The Schnauzer is quiet and well-behaved.

The Poodle craves attention, and wants to be a lap dog. The Schnauzer is somewhat aloof, and only wants attention on her own terms.

Both are good watchdogs, and both are great in the car, although neither has been on a long trip with us. Short trips are fine, though.

Both require periodic grooming, and neither one sheds.

I can easily recommend either breed as a companion animal.

BTW, both are great shop dogs - so long as I'm not using a router (hurts their ears, I guess).

In the past, we've had several mini-schnauzers, and a mini-poodle. All of those were great pets, but they were also very 'yappy.' The larger sizes are completely different, with totally different personalities than their little versions.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!