while this will never be mistaken for fine furniture....

Dan Noren

Staff member
it made pop happy. while i was busy planing the boards for my nephew's table, pop came out and asked if i would make him a table with this top that he had found in the basement. he wanted it to replace the old console (non working) tv that he was using for the skate sharpener, and as a table for desserts during the holidays. he said to use the 2x4's that were in the garage (i used only the good ones). since it was to be built stout, i did up the base from the design of the benches that i use (very adaptable design). when all was said and done, and with his ok, we used 6 nails to fasten the top to the base. his reasoning is that it will be covered any way, and no one will see them.

Attachments

• 001 all parts cut.jpg
    001 all parts cut.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 002 leg assemblies.jpg
    002 leg assemblies.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 003 base assembled.jpg
    003 base assembled.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 004 finished table.jpg
    004 finished table.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 60
yup rob, they are all variations on the same basic theme. the stretcher down the middle becomes a handy shelf. as they are basic 2 by, i don't feel bad if i happen to spill something, or if i need to hang some items that have just been finished, no worries about tapping in a few nails to hang them on. i went for strength and versatility, not beauty for my benches.

Good on you, Dan. If the client is happy, then what more do you need?

I guess some folks really wouldn't like my shop. It's filled with MDF cabinets, 2x4 structural pieces, BC plywood...well, you get the picture. I always keep a few 2x4's on hand just in case they're needed. I'm not too good to use any particular wood on a given project. Yeah, I prefer cherry, walnut, mahogany, etc., but sometimes just plain old pine works!