2-in-1 bed for the daughter as the baby is on board

Started this in advance, anticipating what has now become a reality. Now have a deadline to meet so the pressure is on.
Starting here:
3-in-1 bed Jatoba.jpg
The sides will be detachable and replace with longer pieces to hold a full size mattress when the crib is no longer needed. I am skipping the making of a 'toddler' foot board thus, the 2-in-1, not the 3-in-1 you may have seen in plans, other projects.

Wood: Jatoba and Walnut ... it will be HEAVY. Please note, the pics below are in the right group but not necessarily in the right order/sequence of build as they seem to take on their own order when multiple ones are selected at a time.

Have planed, ripped, crosscut, mortised (158 and counting) and slotted all the Walnut pieces. Some shots along the way:
P1010938.JPGP1010783.JPGP1010789.JPGP1010795.JPG

pulled together the bent wood lamination:
P1010866.JPGP1010763.jpgP1010749.JPGP1011007.JPGP1011006.JPG

more to come ...

Legs are complete except for the centers. I will plane down some 2x4's and fill in the centers.
P1010909.JPG

Since that locking miter takes such a large cut and Jatoba is hard as a rock, I used a shim technique on the fence to ease into the final depth. I set up the bit height/depth with scrap soft wood then used these shims on the fence:
P1010901.JPG

Then the headboard/footboard top/bottom rails:
P1011015.JPG P1011017.JPG

then the mortising/slotting of the same:
P1011272.JPG P1011276.JPG P1011277.JPG P1011282.JPG

and some dry fitting is starting
P1011285.JPG P1011287.JPG

more to come, thanks for looking.

Larry,

I used DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue. I have used in the past on pub table chair legs. Good open time, easy to apply, solid as a rock when cured. I can tell you when I removed the clamps from the jig, there was NO spring back. See for your self:
P1010968.JPG

You can see it did not budge from the form on the right side as the left side was removed.

Looking great so far, Robert. :thumb: And I'll second your motion for the Weldwood Plastic Resin glue on bent laminations. I've had great results from it myself on the few bent pieces I've made. I've also used it on higher-end cutting boards where I didn't want any glue creep afterward.

thanks, robert i thought so from what i saw behind your picture.. but figured i would ask for sure.. as for filling those legs i dont think i would bother with that the legs once glued will be very strong as they are and if you need wood for mortises then just plug the top and bottom where needed..but a shorter tenon would be ok to.

Very nice design and work Robert thanks for posting. Love the top of that headboard and the shape you got in it. Have you thought of adding a bead with router bit or scratch stock to that top edge, it would help emphasize the outline shape a bit and make it stand out a bit more. Given the steps are nice and shallow and gentle.

I was wondering about the filling of them legs but Larry answered my question. :)

Just curious...why did you fill the legs?

As a side note - since the filling is a different wood (pine or poplar?) the different expansion rates might pop the mitered joints in the outer legs.

Thanks all for the comments. Glenn, I will be borrowing some of your 'chest of drawers' work for the rest of the bedroom set ... dresser, night stand, etc. I really liked how you put that chest together. One question for you ... why side mount slides and not under mount slides on the drawers?