tod's new dog...

Marty Walsh

We all thought tod has some large dogs...

How about this one:

worldslargestdog.jpg

Here's the back story...

Hercules: Hercules was recently awarded the honorable distinction of
Worlds Biggest Dog by Guinness World Records. Hercules is an English
Mastiff who has a 38 inch neck and weighs 282 pounds.

With "paws the size of softballs" (reports the Boston Herald), the
three-year-old monster is far larger and heavier than his breed's
standard 200lb. limit. Hercules owner Mr. Flynn says that Hercules
weight is natural and not induced by a bizarre diet: "I fed him normal
food and he just "grew"... and grew. and grew. and grew.​

- Marty -

Yep, happens from time to time...............

Remember "The Hound of the Baskervilles"

In mere size and strength it was a terrible creature which was lying stretched before us. It was not a pure bloodhound and it was not a pure mastiff; but it appeared to be a combination of the two -- gaunt, savage, and as large as a small lioness. Even now in the stillness of death, the huge jaws seemed to be dripping with a bluish flame and the small, deep-set, cruel eyes were ringed with fire.
:D

Wow! Even knowing them to be gentle giants, I would still probably brown my britches if he came running at me.
Great catch on that quote, Stu.
At one time, some folks in Africa bred what they called the 'Super Dog'. It was a Mastiff cross with other breeds and, reportedly, got up to 350 pounds. They were mean critters bred to protect cattle from lions. I remember reading about them but nothing since. My guess is that the project was abandoned because they were difficult to handle.

At one time, some folks in Africa bred what they called the 'Super Dog'. It was a Mastiff cross with other breeds and, reportedly, got up to 350 pounds. They were mean critters bred to protect cattle from lions. I remember reading about them but nothing since. My guess is that the project was abandoned because they were difficult to handle.
Or they figured out that the lions were eating less than the dogs were.

I've been wondering where my hook, line and sinker and gone. Looks like Marty took 'em! :rofl:

[Sorry Marty, couldn't resist. I nibbled a bit too...almost went to go get LOML to show her the pic.]

When I saw "280 pounds", I figured the picture was 'shopped. Based on the relatively slight body size difference between the horse and the dog, I figured the dog in the pic had to weigh at least 750+ pounds. ;)

When I saw "280 pounds", I figured the picture was 'shopped. Based on the relatively slight body size difference between the horse and the dog, I figured the dog in the pic had to weigh at least 750+ pounds. ;)
Yup: weight goes up as the cube of the size, so a 280lb dog is only about 15% taller/longer/wider than a 200lb dog of the same breed. Once they get big enough to look you in the eye, I doubt you'd notice the difference.

Hook line and sinker, huh Vaughn? Sheesh... :doh:

Ok, here's "supposedly" the real 'hercules':

Hercules.jpg

The dog, not the dude.

And here's the link I got it from. Snope'd it and didn't find anything. Maybe this one is real...?

Oh well...
- Marty -

.... Marty, thanks for the background. This kinda clears up the validity of Hercules :thumb:. And in this case his owner too at 270lbs :D.

Hook line and sinker, huh Vaughn? Sheesh... :doh:

Ok, here's "supposedly" the real 'hercules':

View attachment 7443

The dog, not the dude.

And here's the link I got it from. Snope'd it and didn't find anything. Maybe this one is real...?

Oh well...
- Marty -