dried herb vrs fresh?

larry merlau

can someone tell me the approximate volume of a fresh head of dill verses the ground up refrozen bottled kind? my mom cant seem to find any fresh stuff and has a bottle of the dehydrated stuff for a batch of pickles.. but needs to know the amount to use

Snagged from here

"[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica]Essential oils are more concentrated in dried herbs so you use less. If you want to substitute dried herbs in a recipe that calls for fresh, the conversion is simple. Reduce tablespoons to teaspoons; two Tablespoons of fresh oregano equals two teaspoons dried."[/FONT][/FONT]

Hope it helps.

Another snag...
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica]
"A dill head contains dill seeds, not dill weed. You would want about 3/4 teaspoon of dill seeds to equal a head of dill. Dill weed is far less potent than the seed so you may not want to interchange them.
[/FONT]"

Thanks for posting this Larry, I've had the exact same question.

I've been making some pickles lately and I really haven't liked using fresh dill, and the dried dill didn't work for me either.

But Ken has come to the rescue and I'm going to get some dill seeds. That sounds like the perfect solution.