Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question time for everyone

St. Mary's, Georgia

Question time for everyone

What is the difference between Inlay , Marquetry an Intarsia ?

If you are going to make something nice, make it with a statement, use quality an do it right the first time

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    From a totally naive point of view, as I don't do any of them, I would say it's to do with the finished product more than the techniques.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Escondido, CA
    An inlay could be any material embedded into the surface and flush with that surface.
    Marquetry is the use of different pieces and colors of usually wood to complete a design or pattern, embedded in and flush to the surface.
    Intarsia is more three dimensional in that the individual pieces can be different thicknesses, even carved or colored, rendering a design not flush to the surface or even to the pieces around teh pieces, if you know what I mean.

But then I cheated. I was a woodworking instructor for years.

That said, there is some overlap, especially in the use of the inlay and marquetry terms.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Inlay is embedding an object into another object.
    Marquetry is decorative veneer laid on top of a substrate.

Intarsia on the other hand.. Not really sure that the defining feature of "intarsia" is versus inlay (or indeed even some types of marquetry)? Intarsia is from thicker pieces? Contoured?

Interestingly I recently found out that there is an "Intarsia" knitting technique when LOML was talking about doing something with it which overlaps significantly with the woodworking technique Makes me wonder what the actual origin of the term was.. (annd... according to wikipedia "It is thought that the word 'intarsia' is derived from the Latin word 'interserere' which means "to insert"." Interesting, so it seems likely to have originated as a subset of inlay then?)

St. Mary's, Georgia
    You all are on the right track, they all use different techniques to make so Roger was close, Marquetry is also an Inlay when you look at how the piece is embedded in the substructure, where Intarsia is on the surface of a substructure but do all these use the same tools to make ??

If you are going to make something nice, make it with a statement, use quality an do it right the first time

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Wasn't sure if you were asking a question or giving a test
    Faith, Hope & Charity

new york city burbs
    sorry, I had to go to the bathroom
    Human Test Dummy

falcon heights, minnesota
    since i already knew the difference, i didn't answer. be sure to wash your hands allen.
    benedictione omnes bene

Thomasville, GA
    Sounds like a trick question where the only one knowing the "right" answer is the person asking it.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

East Freeetown, Massachusetts
    On the Inlaying, I would use a 90 degree "V" grooving bit. There are some really neat ways to do inlaying on a CNC machine.

On the marquetry I would use a surgically sharp knife, as I would not want to do that on a CNC Router

On the Intarsia I might use a 1/8 bit or a 1/16 bit depending on the inside radius cuts. I might end up trimming with a file or knife. I would also be sanding with fine grit paper.

I don't believe those are the correct answers if one was doing the work in a conventional way, but my head does not always think conventionally.

Sorry - I am NOT - trying to undermine - but this is how I would do it.

Conventionally - Inlay can be done with a router, of with hand tools like a chisel - trace the male member then create the female pocket to fit

Marquetry - similar - but with a really sharp knife.

I believe Intarsia would be on a scroll saw - and a lot of sine sandpaper.

I believe there are 50 ways to leave your lover - or to skin a cat.

I am not a skilled craftsman at any of the above - just my thoughts on the subject.

Roy - your work is spectacular, and I would LOVE to know more - but this sounds like a high school class. I know you don't mean it to sound like that - but it does.

Please don't be offended at my comments - I don't score very high on diplomacy.

I think what works really well on a forum like this is a progress tutorial. You start the process with a brief explanation - a couple of digital pictures at the start - then post you progress explaining what you are doing. That gives us a chance to SEE what you are doing then ask questions or make comments.