Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you tell I'm a sailor?

Can you tell I'm a sailor?

The top of the new widebelt sander is about 90" off the floor, the gates for the dust collection are about 6" above that, and completely out of reach.

I drilled three holes in the end of the blast gates where they have a 90 bend in them for the handle. The two outside holes are for a piece of 3/16" bungee, (the black line), that wraps around the pipe, and what holds it closed. The ends of the bungee just have a stopper knot tied in them to keep from pulling through. The hole in the center I ran a scrap piece of twelve strand dyneema, (the red line), and did a stopper knot in it as well. That piece of dyneema goes to the other gate, and has a stopper/figure 8 knot in it.

Closed

Open

So the red line just makes a loop between the two gates. Tied to it is a piece of single braided 5/16" line with a bowline on one end that pulls both open at once.

Closed

Open

I screwed a piece of 1/2" baltic birch to the wall to act as a plate to mount the rest of the stuff too. At the top is a cheap block I had laying around to make the turn from horizontal to vertical. I just drilled a hole in the end of my 1/2" plywood and lashed it to the plywood. I extended the plywood up to keep the pull on the gates as straight as possible to hopefully eliminate binding. My first attempt I mounted a fixed block called a cheek block, but didn't like it, (plus it's kind of a spendy little unit), and decided on tying it on as it allows itself to sit at whatever angle or twist it wants too. Not that I'm overly concerned with friction or wear here, but why not do it correctly? The 5/16" line goes down from that block and through a saddle and into a cleat. The saddle on there is just so the line stays tight to the plywood when cleating it. I can pull out at an angle, but it still holds it in the cleat. Otherwise I'd have to pull almost straight down to get it to cleat, and I just didn't like that. I just tied a bunch of half hitches over and over in the end to make a handle. Maybe I'll throw something in the lathe at some point and make myself a fancy handle.

Closed

Open

It works surprisingly well. I looked into pneumatic gates, and the some of the pricing scared me off, as did the potential for complications with part failures down the road. This took maybe an hour to rig up out of what is realistically garbage kicking around in my sailboat trailer and a scrap of plywood.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Pretty neat solution
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Nicely done! I was going to ask if you'd used a half knot or a figure eight but I see you did it right

A nice T handle and a U finger bracket would make it easy to pull down and lock the gate open..

That's a great solution!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nicely done, Karl!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Actually, it was the big forearms and the anchor tattoo that gave it away.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    Actually, it was the big forearms and the anchor tattoo that gave it away.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

what is that clinch piece ? the gray and black part. never saw one of those before..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Great use of a cleat and turning block! Nice use of a bowline as well!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yap you are a squid Great rigging also, looks the best way to go on a tight budget also
    https://www.facebook.com/BgCouger

If you are going to make something nice, make it with a statement, use quality an do it right the first time