wiring in a new switch

Ned Bulken

OK guys... help me puzzle out this
diagram.jpg

diagram... I'm wiring up a replacement paddle switch from Grizzly. I get that pins 14 and 24 go to the machine side and 13 and 23 go to the source... My question is the ground l, does that go through pin 13, or does it bypass and go directly to a lug on the machine? I'm putting a switch on my jointer; it doesn't have a switch, so simply mimicking the existing set up won't work.

The ground bypasses the switch. Ground should always be continuous, not switched*.

*There are exceptions on audio circuits, but unless you're plugging an electric guitar into the machine, you won't be needing to switch the ground. :D

Pin 13 is the hot, you definitely do NOT want to wire the ground to pin 13 or the excitment will short lived and sparktacular.

Wire the ground directly to the lug on the machine.

That's not a good wiring diagram for someone that isn't too familiar with wiring, appears to be form overseas perhaps??
They should use the universal grounding symbol I think. Of course what do I know? :doh:

That's not a good wiring diagram for someone that isn't too familiar with wiring, appears to be form overseas perhaps??
They should use the universal grounding symbol I think. Of course what do I know? :doh:

I thought it looks like they did, use the symbol for earth ground?

Power source is the plug, although machine might have been more clear with the term motor, instead of machine. (machine, motor and load could all be used there, though)

Ned, "power source" appears to be a cord, with 3 wires, black,(hot), white(neutral) and ground. The ground does go to a lug (screw or bolt) on the machine. Does look fairly simple.