Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the subject of bread

On the subject of bread

I didn't want to hijack Roger's bread thread.

I would love a recipe to make hamburger buns, a kaiser like roll that doesn't 'melt' with a juicy hamburger of sloppy joe mix in it, but only make them 2 at a time. Anybody got a recipe?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I haven't made Kaiser rolls, but the recipe seems similar from different sources. This page from Food.com has scaling capabilities.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Carol
    If the recipe makes to much for you to use you can always freeze the rolls either fully baked or partially baked and take them out when you need them. Here is a link that might help.
    LINK
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

+1 baking 2 rolls at a time is way to much pain/gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Carol
    If the recipe makes to much for you to use you can always freeze the rolls either fully baked or partially baked and take them out when you need them. Here is a link that might help.
    LINK

Thanks, Bill. A place to start.
    Yeah, Don, but my freezer space is really limited in my MH.
    Hear ya, Ryan, but there is only me and I don't want a whole batch of them at one time. Not thrilled with frozen rolls even if I had the space.

Some stores sell them individually, but they are incredibly spendy and requires going to the store.

I was using frozen Texas rolls which make a sort of roll, but too soft, really. Also, can't find them anymore here. There I could take out or two in the morning and let the rise and have one for lunch today and the other for tomorrow. But just when you think you havea workable solution, supplies change inventory.

Also got rid of my bread machine years go but not my Kitchen Aid, though it is a pain to dig out. Too much arthritis in neck and shoulders for manual kneading.

Single people have interesting challenges from time to time. Keep the suggestions coming.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I want one of those KitchenAid mixers, so I could make more than one or two loaves at a time.

Hmm. I wonder if I could use my band saw as a slicer...
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    I want one of those KitchenAid mixers, so I could make more than one or two loaves at a time.

Hmm. I wonder if I could use my band saw as a slicer...
    not a bad idea roger. the meat dept in my dad's old store had a bandsaw that was used to cut chickens, sides of beef, etc (made a royal mess out of liver though). so if you use a 3/4" 8-10 tpi blade, that would do the trick. just make sure to wipe the blade down both before and after use. for bread slicing, i would recommend using a fence, hot dog and hamburger buns could be done freehand. with that done, you can always chuck up a spud or two in the lathe (mini or larger makes no difference), and spin up some curly fries to go along with the hamburgers/hot dogs.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    ...you can always chuck up a spud or two in the lathe (mini or larger makes no difference), and spin up some curly fries to go along with the hamburgers/hot dogs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMBbYM11I8
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I make a lot of home made bread - I have worn out 3 bread machines, and now use a Kitchen Aid. My technique is a short-cut from the typical recipe - the cook books make bread way too complex. My recipe and process is documented at www.plesums.com/stuff/bread.html

The basic recipe makes about 6-8 hamburger buns, or a couple buns plus a small loaf of bread, or some buns and some dinner rolls.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    not a bad idea roger. the meat dept in my dad's old store had a bandsaw that was used to cut chickens, sides of beef, etc (made a royal mess out of liver though). so if you use a 3/4" 8-10 tpi blade, that would do the trick. just make sure to wipe the blade down both before and after use. for bread slicing, i would recommend using a fence, hot dog and hamburger buns could be done freehand. with that done, you can always chuck up a spud or two in the lathe (mini or larger makes no difference), and spin up some curly fries to go along with the hamburgers/hot dogs.

I was half serious. The advantage of using the bandsaw for me would be that I am the only person in my household who can cut a straight slice. Everyone else cuts wedges, and they make terrible sandwiches. I would be fine with using any blade as long as it had only been used to cut wood.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln