On the subject of bread

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I didn't want to hijack Roger's bread thread.

I would love a recipe to make hamburger buns, a kaiser like roll that doesn't 'melt' with a juicy hamburger of sloppy joe mix in it, but only make them 2 at a time. Anybody got a recipe?

Thanks, Bill. A place to start.
Yeah, Don, but my freezer space is really limited in my MH.
Hear ya, Ryan, but there is only me and I don't want a whole batch of them at one time. Not thrilled with frozen rolls even if I had the space.

Some stores sell them individually, but they are incredibly spendy and requires going to the store.

I was using frozen Texas rolls which make a sort of roll, but too soft, really. Also, can't find them anymore here. There I could take out or two in the morning and let the rise and have one for lunch today and the other for tomorrow. But just when you think you havea workable solution, supplies change inventory.

Also got rid of my bread machine years go but not my Kitchen Aid, though it is a pain to dig out. Too much arthritis in neck and shoulders for manual kneading.

Single people have interesting challenges from time to time. Keep the suggestions coming.

I want one of those KitchenAid mixers, so I could make more than one or two loaves at a time.

Hmm. I wonder if I could use my band saw as a slicer...

not a bad idea roger. the meat dept in my dad's old store had a bandsaw that was used to cut chickens, sides of beef, etc (made a royal mess out of liver though). so if you use a 3/4" 8-10 tpi blade, that would do the trick. just make sure to wipe the blade down both before and after use. for bread slicing, i would recommend using a fence, hot dog and hamburger buns could be done freehand. with that done, you can always chuck up a spud or two in the lathe (mini or larger makes no difference), and spin up some curly fries to go along with the hamburgers/hot dogs.

I make a lot of home made bread - I have worn out 3 bread machines, and now use a Kitchen Aid. My technique is a short-cut from the typical recipe - the cook books make bread way too complex. My recipe and process is documented at www.plesums.com/stuff/bread.html

The basic recipe makes about 6-8 hamburger buns, or a couple buns plus a small loaf of bread, or some buns and some dinner rolls.

not a bad idea roger. the meat dept in my dad's old store had a bandsaw that was used to cut chickens, sides of beef, etc (made a royal mess out of liver though). so if you use a 3/4" 8-10 tpi blade, that would do the trick. just make sure to wipe the blade down both before and after use. for bread slicing, i would recommend using a fence, hot dog and hamburger buns could be done freehand. with that done, you can always chuck up a spud or two in the lathe (mini or larger makes no difference), and spin up some curly fries to go along with the hamburgers/hot dogs.

I was half serious. The advantage of using the bandsaw for me would be that I am the only person in my household who can cut a straight slice. Everyone else cuts wedges, and they make terrible sandwiches. I would be fine with using any blade as long as it had only been used to cut wood.

BAck to Carol's original post, if you make a bunch of buns and cook them for just long enough to kill the yeast, say, 10 minutes, you should be able to freeze them and reheat them individually as needed. I'll have to give it a try, next time I make dinner rolls.

Thanks, Charlie. I will print out your bread instructions. I have the professional Kitchen Aid mixer, but no electric knife any longer. How many rolls do you think your recipe would make. I do not like wimpy small rolls with barely visible hamburgers in them. I like 1/3 pound patties and a roll that contains them. Would you divide the ball at the shape for the pan point to make rolls? I'd love a yeasty roll with a crispy top. Make it worth eating!

My lol has every kitchen gadget going. That video by Vaughn is an inspiration to me to obtain
a new shop tool that I can use in the kitchen. Looking good.

....no electric knife any longer....

Any serrated "bread knife" will work, but the advantage of the electric knife is that it requires no pressure when cutting through a fresh hot loaf.

....How many rolls do you think your recipe would make. I do not like wimpy small rolls with barely visible hamburgers in them. I like 1/3 pound patties and a roll that contains them. Would you divide the ball at the shape for the pan point to make rolls? I'd love a yeasty roll with a crispy top. Make it worth eating!

When it comes time to form the loaf, I roll the ball flat on the counter, using a rolling pin. I use a salad bowl with a narrow edge as my cutter, having explored the cupboards for a suitable size thing. Of course there is a lot of "waste" which I throw back into the mixer with the dough hook, for the second and third pass. After they are cut, they go on a greased cookie sheet to rise and bake.

I don't remember just how many hamburger buns that makes - I would guess at least 6. Sometimes I use all the dough for buns and freeze them, other times I use the extra dough in a mini-loaf pan (cut lengthwise the slice is almost normal size) or make some dinner rolls (custard cups work if you only need a couple). Some people are good at making a small ball that makes a nice roll on a cookie sheet, but mine don't usually look pretty, so my rolls are usually in a muffin tin (three small balls of dough in one "opening," or the like)

By the way, the loaf that was rising when I first replied was very tasty - the milk bread with glop mentioned on the web page.