Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been a While

Been a While

I finished turning this piece last time I was back in LA...February, as I recall. I finally got around to processing the photos.

This hollow form is maple, dyed black, sanded back, then dyed turquoise. The opening was burned and textured with a pyrography pen. The finish is rattle-can lacquer, wet sanded with 400 and 600 grit paper, machine buffed with Don Pencil's PL compound, and finished off with buffed Renaissance Wax. It's roughly 6" in diameter and 3" or so tall. It was hard to photograph because the lacquer came out glassy smooth and gave me fits with the glare. (I also didn't have my photo tent and lights available, so this was photographed outdoors under overcast skies.) The glare also gives the illusion of a sharp corner at the shoulder, but if you look at the profile, you'll see it's actually rounded. Comments and critiques are welcome.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That is quite gorgeous! What do you do with a piece like that? I think I would put a whole bag of scotch mints in it.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Very beautiful!!
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    That is quite gorgeous! What do you do with a piece like that?...
    Thanks, Roger. I used to get that question from time to time when I was doing shows. My stock answer was: "Pretty much the same thing you do with a painting or photograph." In other words, it's made to look at and display. The vast majority of what I turn is intended for decorative purposes, not practical ones.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Awesome, now that's something to rest your eyes against for sure.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Ooooh shiny

Starting to come around on the whole dyed thing It certainly does bring out the grain in an interesting way on some of these pieces.

I am curious about your decision to burn the rim instead of ust dying it black? Is it because of worries about control of the dye (bleeding back into the blue) or do you feel that the increased texture adds value in setting the contrast between the inside and the outside?

I generally like the shape a lot. Nice curves. I'm not 100% sure about the transition to the lip around the opening, I think I'd like either less or more curve at that point - it sort of feels like you couldn't decide if there should be a delineation or not.

It's a beauty for sure!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

what brent said.
    Human Test Dummy

Well I was hoping you had got a lathe set up in NM...I've got a lathe in my garage/shop and have turned about as much as you lately.

At any rate...this is a beauty!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

That's a beautiful piece, Vaughn! Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station