Keeping notes

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
This came up in Larry's twins post and I didn't want to hijack his thread. The point was made that taking notes along the way could go a long way to helping get the project done as planned. Life intervenes and things get postponed and the memory ain't what it used to be.

It has also been noted that taking pictures during dis-assembly helps a bunch when reassembling.

So I got to thinking about that fancy dancy smartphone I lug around. Takes great pictures and I could write notes on it but that keyboard is not for fat fingered people.

I wonder.....

Could I record notes?

Yes! Hot ziggity! Old new toy! This will be especially handy when making a shopping list and not just for the shop!

For the record, it is an iPhone with Siri. Click on new note, then click on the microphone at the bottom of the screen and yak away. How cool is that? Maybe you have a similar feature on your phone. Check it out. Beats finding paper and pencil with dirty hands.

Seriously, I do start a 3 ring binder when beginning a project. Helps keep track of decisions made, materials needed and acquired, and progress notes along with caveats, as in 'don't forget' and recipes for finishes, etc. The phone won't replace that, but it will allow me to keep a digital copy after transferring to my computer. Then all goes in one folder; SU drawings, bill of materials, sources and costs, changes (with dates) (signed if for a customer), contracts, payments, etc. This has saved more than my bacon working a project. It has saved me money. Less waste, less duplication of supplies, fewer trips to suppliers, not to mention clarity with what I am doing, especially now that most of my time is taken up with other activities and woodworking has become a sometime thing.

Now if I could just find all my tools.

Well Carol i try to leave the phone behind when i go out to the shop in fact i leave my phone around a lot rather than be tethered to it. Good idea to make use of it and it can take a video which gives both voice notes and images in one go. But it can also be the distraction that causes injury in my view. But nothing says one cannot disable the network connection and put phone in flight mode essentially isolating it from incoming calls or texts and use it as another tool.

I use a google app called Keep. You can record a note, take a pic, add a pic from file and write notes. I have several "keep notes" that I have started with ideas for current and future projects. When I have an "ah ha!" moment about a current or future project I just pull up the app and add it.

I pretty much always have my phone with me, but I don't get many calls or text other than close friends and family so it's not a bother. In the shop, it's playing music or internet radio so I don't pay any attention to it unless I need to change the tunes.

Rob, it has a MUTE button! :rofl: The phone is your tool, not your master.

Jeff, I do snap pictures of inspiring things, but I had not used the recorder for notes before. I've only had the thing for 3 years. You can tell I am a slow learner with these geeky matters. :huh:

I started using Evernote (free version, but considering upgrading) to keep track of my project tasks. Has phone/tablet apps as well as mac/pc. It lets you attach pics to notes and on my tablet I can even draw/sketch notes. I do task lists with checkboxes and it lets me check things off as I get them done. It syncs the notes between all the devices or can get to it on-line if need be.

Carol, you can also use Siri to keep lists for you. (I use my for to-do lists and grocery lists.) Go into the Reminders app and create a new list. Give it an easy name to remember, like To-Do, or Grocery. (Or Dresser Project.) Then even if your phone is locked, you can hold down the Start button until you get the Siri "bing-bong", then simple say "Add [whatever you want to add] to the [whatever list you want to add it to] list."

For example, "Add 'Don't forget to rabbet the drawer sides before assembling the drawers' to the Dresser Project list".