Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Seal coat for lacquer?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    13,448

    Seal coat for lacquer?

    Anyone know of an alternative for a sand/seal to use for lacquer? I had planned on using the Zinsser Bullseye Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) as my seal coat for the rv project, but neither Lowes or Home Depot carry it anymore. I've already coated one of my platforms with it, so would like to find another can of it, but if I can't locate any today I need an alternative to use. I think Minwax makes a sealer for their brush on lacquer, but had planned to spray a water based lacquer and not sure if it will be compatible or have the same amber tint of the Zinsser product.
    Darren

    To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Anyone know of an alternative for a sand/seal to use for lacquer? I had planned on using the Zinsser Bullseye Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) as my seal coat for the rv project, but neither Lowes or Home Depot carry it anymore. I've already coated one of my platforms with it, so would like to find another can of it, but if I can't locate any today I need an alternative to use. I think Minwax makes a sealer for their brush on lacquer, but had planned to spray a water based lacquer and not sure if it will be compatible or have the same amber tint of the Zinsser product.
    Target EM1000 is intended for use under their WB lacquers. It sprays on nicely (I use a 1.5mm tip on my HVLP) , dries quickly, and sands very nicely. It can be tinted. I use Transtint Amber when I want to to make it resemble an oil based product or shellac.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,448
    I am also a big fan of Target EM1000, for all the reasons Jim says. But it is only available mail order.

    Woodcraft carries Zinsser Seal Coat, but I couldn't check inventory in Kansas City. Both Lowe's and Home Depot carry it here, and Home Depot will mail it to you or your store if you buy a case (4 quarts). On line all three carry it, so they may have moved it someplace odd in the store.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wapakoneta, OH
    Posts
    611
    Yeah, our box stores (blue, orange, green) still all stock Zinnser shellac as well. Maybe they just relocated it at your store?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    13,448
    Thanks guys, I found some at one of the local ace hardware stores over lunch. My lowes doesn't carry the Sealcoat, nor do they show it available to order on-line, Home depot only had order to store, but would be way past my deadline to get it.

    I've actually got a quart of the EM1000 that I forgot about until you all said something. It's probably a year or so old, but un-opened in my office. How's the shelf life for that stuff?
    Darren

    To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...I've actually got a quart of the EM1000 that I forgot about until you all said something. It's probably a year or so old, but un-opened in my office. How's the shelf life for that stuff?
    Shelf life seems to be pretty good. I've used stuff from a previously opened can that was over two years old. Spray/brush some on scrap before spraying your good items, just to be sure.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    13,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Shelf life seems to be pretty good. I've used stuff from a previously opened can that was over two years old. Spray/brush some on scrap before spraying your good items, just to be sure.
    Thanks Jim...good advice too.
    Darren

    To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,472
    i havnt used the stuff jim mentions darren , but i have also used 2 yr old precat and had safe results.. but i try to stay with in the time slots now days got to much invested to loose it over a old finish..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Outside the beltway
    Posts
    5,255
    With mag-namax you dont need a seal coat. I do use mag-nasand . 2 light coats sand and finish.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Similar Threads

  1. Snuffy the Seal
    By Dan Mooney in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 12:33 AM
  2. Arm-A-Seal not drying
    By Steve Southwood in forum Finishing School
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 11:48 PM
  3. Coat rack
    By Curt Fuller in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 04:11 AM
  4. Deft Laquer / Arm-A-Seal / Seal-A Cell.
    By Chuck Beland in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 01:42 AM
  5. Top Coat Over Wax?
    By glenn bradley in forum Finishing School
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •