Seal coat for lacquer?

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know of an alternative for a sand/seal to use for lacquer? I had planned on using the Zinsser Bullseye Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) as my seal coat for the rv project, but neither Lowes or Home Depot carry it anymore. I've already coated one of my platforms with it, so would like to find another can of it, but if I can't locate any today I need an alternative to use. I think Minwax makes a sealer for their brush on lacquer, but had planned to spray a water based lacquer and not sure if it will be compatible or have the same amber tint of the Zinsser product.

Anyone know of an alternative for a sand/seal to use for lacquer? I had planned on using the Zinsser Bullseye Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) as my seal coat for the rv project, but neither Lowes or Home Depot carry it anymore. I've already coated one of my platforms with it, so would like to find another can of it, but if I can't locate any today I need an alternative to use. I think Minwax makes a sealer for their brush on lacquer, but had planned to spray a water based lacquer and not sure if it will be compatible or have the same amber tint of the Zinsser product.

Target EM1000 is intended for use under their WB lacquers. It sprays on nicely (I use a 1.5mm tip on my HVLP) , dries quickly, and sands very nicely. It can be tinted. I use Transtint Amber when I want to to make it resemble an oil based product or shellac.

I am also a big fan of Target EM1000, for all the reasons Jim says. But it is only available mail order.

Woodcraft carries Zinsser Seal Coat, but I couldn't check inventory in Kansas City. Both Lowe's and Home Depot carry it here, and Home Depot will mail it to you or your store if you buy a case (4 quarts). On line all three carry it, so they may have moved it someplace odd in the store.

Thanks guys, I found some at one of the local ace hardware stores over lunch. My lowes doesn't carry the Sealcoat, nor do they show it available to order on-line, Home depot only had order to store, but would be way past my deadline to get it.

I've actually got a quart of the EM1000 that I forgot about until you all said something. It's probably a year or so old, but un-opened in my office. How's the shelf life for that stuff?

...I've actually got a quart of the EM1000 that I forgot about until you all said something. It's probably a year or so old, but un-opened in my office. How's the shelf life for that stuff?

Shelf life seems to be pretty good. I've used stuff from a previously opened can that was over two years old. Spray/brush some on scrap before spraying your good items, just to be sure.

i havnt used the stuff jim mentions darren , but i have also used 2 yr old precat and had safe results.. but i try to stay with in the time slots now days got to much invested to loose it over a old finish..