Thread: Giving up on my router table

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Giving up on my router table

I have had a Ryobi router table for several years, and done some good work on it. I haven't used it in the last year at all however, and a few weeks ago I tried to set up to cut a rabbet, and finally gave up and did the job on my table saw, much quicker than I ever have on the router table. Part of my issue was with storing the thing. No matter where I put it in my 8' x 10' shed, it was in the way. It has a Skil router attached to it at the moment, and it was no fun to set up. I had to take the router and plate out of the table to be able to set it up, and no, I can't afford any of the router lifts in the catalogs.

I know the Ryobi table isn't the best around, and when I get a real shop, I will probably spring for a good table and a router lift. Meantime, I can do a lot with a Dado blade and a handheld router. I intend to use the money I get from selling the table and router on Kijiji to defray the cost of a good Dado blade.

I'm sure the Memsahib will be happy to hear I have gotten rid of a tool. She thinks they are all surplus to my requirements anyway.

Just needed to share.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    You know I haven't had a dedicated router table in years. There are some cases where I definitely miss it, but then I usually figure out some way around the problem (sometimes involves scaling back my design .. or just doing a different project ). You definitely have to make some hard desicions in a shop that small and I certainly can't say that that was the wrong one.

Austin, Texas
    I gave up my router table about 10 years ago. But that was when I got a shaper as part of my combo machine. After getting comfortable with the shaper in the combo, I bought a second separate shaper, and it gets a fair amount of use.

When I was picking up the shaper at Woodcraft (5 hp Powermatic), one of the "not too smart" salesmen commented, "I can't imagine why anyone would want a shaper." I said, "this is my second." He wandered off shaking his head.

When you build your ultimate shop, consider a shaper rather than a router table.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at

Thomasville, GA
    I can't imagine being without my router table. I built my first one about 14 years ago and sold it only because I bought a new tablesaw with router lift in the extension a couple of years later. When we moved to Georgia and I built my dedicated, larger shop, I put the router lift in a portion of my bench that lets me keep it ready most of the time. I have used it for everything from small profiles to raised panel doors. I looked at shapers a few years ago but decided one couldn't give me any capability I didn't already have.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.