Thread: Do you use Saccharine (Liquid Sweet 'n Low)

Austin, Texas

Do you use Saccharine (Liquid Sweet 'n Low)

On the finishing forum only because that is where I use the most chemicals....

I have tried many bottles for small quantities of those ugly chemicals like lacquer thinner. Things that I like to use a few drops at a time on a rag, etc. But some of the ugly chemicals destroy the bottles.

Recently I found that the empty Sweet 'n Low bottles work VERY well - nasty chemicals seem to have no impact on them. And with a sewing needle, I can enlarge the hole from a drip at a time to a small stream. I now have a way to keep my choice of solvents readily available.

Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at

Reno NV
    I've been using these

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_7770.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	85161

But at 8 ounces, For some chemicals I find them a little large. They hold every thing from lacquer thinner to acetone, but some of the chemicals to seem to evaporate somewhat over time.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thomasville, GA
    What Darren said, except I got mine from Woodcraft along with extra spouts and caps. In addition to the usual solvents, I transferred my CA glues to them so I could swap the spouts for fresh ones when they start getting a little messed up. I keep the used spouts/caps in a jar of acetone so they're clean the next time I need to swap.

As to Saccharin, we don't use any artificial sweeteners - seems they all have some kind of detrimental effects. I prefer plain coffee, unsweetened tea, etc.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 08-23-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    I use the litle packets of powder Sweet n' Low, only in hot cereal. I tried using them to dispense lacquer thinner, but it just didn't work.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Amherst, New Hampshire
    A few years ago Ken Werner bought a gross of a similar bottle like the one Brent showed. I think they are either 4 or 6 oz. though. Anyway, I bought a dozen or so from him and use them for just about everything.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    I've always been a bit afraid of artificial sweeteners. My thought is if they need to be bottled in this kind of container you'd have to be a pretty brave person to ingest them. Besides that I am completely natural why would I knowingly eat an artificial sweetener? This is not to say that I have not unknowingly eating something with these sweeteners in it . I try to limit eating them.

As to the bottle I have used bottles from beauty solon suppliers.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    GFS (Gordon Food Supply) has squeeze bottles that have a larger neck, making them easier to fill. They're 8 oz. bottles, HDPE, and impervious to most solvents. I use them for alcohol, shellac, naphtha, acetone, water and soapy water. I also use them for pre-mixed Transtint dyes.

Here's a tip that works with most squeeze bottles: if you lose (or don't have) a cap for them, use one of those slip-on pencil erasers. They work great.

BTW, those erasers work very well as dust caps on air tool inlet fittings, too.
    Jim D.