Licking board

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Although I wouldn't recommend licking it! Ouch!

Another strange yarn processing tool. This one is used to deconstruct already spun yarn back into its consituent parts for re-spinning. Basically you use this and a couple of hand cards (wool not playing!) and rip the yarn apart.

Maple and walnut. The background was inset into the frame a smidge to hold it all together. The corners all have internal doweling across the corner which made assembly a bit of a rush to get done as you have to sort of collapse all four sides on themselves at once and it was maybe a bit to hot in the garage for the glue I was using. Ended up with a really small gap (maybe 1/64) on one side because the glue setup to fast, but was able to pull the miters in tight enough so you can't really see it much.

The stuff in the middle is "carding cloth" which is a thick rubber cloth with a whole lot of sharp little teeth, kind of like what you'd see on a dog comb.
IMG_20140824_105553.jpg

The back, so you can see the bookmatched maple :D and also (more importantly funtional wise) that there is a bit of a ledge on the bottom that will catch the edge of the table and hold it in place when in use.
IMG_20140824_105603.jpg

How you would actually place it in use. The ledge underneath is caught on the table and you would "lick" (or "flick" which I think has a common base) the wool away from you to pull it apart.
IMG_20140824_105622.jpg

For the next one I don't think I'll make it quite as big. The carding cloth square is about 10"x12" and practically the holder for it doesn't have to be much bigger than that - I'd never seen one (or seen one used) before I made this one though so kind of err'd on the larger side :D

Last edited:
I'd say that looks pretty slick, but "slick" wasn't really what you were looking for. Nicely done, nonetheless.

I'd say that looks pretty slick, but "slick" wasn't really what you were looking for. Nicely done, nonetheless.

:rofl: Pretty much the anithesis of slick..

Deconstruct yarn? Couldn't you just get a cat? That looks like it will do the job quite nicely though.

I believe the idea is for it to be a slightly more controlled deconstruction :D