This summer corn

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Is simply a-maize-ing!

I like it grilled in the husk on the .. grill.. and then slathered in butter. Cooking it in the husk lets the hair come clean off of it with no muss or fuss which I really like and its also harder to overcook it (if you do it ends up still pretty good, no worries about getting soggy like if you boiled it). Also means we can do the whole dinner on the grill. We grilled up some extra on the weekend and made a big corn salad with fresh tomatoes, peppers, onion, lime juice (and a pinch each of salt, dried hot peppers and cumin).

How do you cook yours up?

"a-maize-ing" groan lol

We cook it as you do, nothing better than picked from the stalk and placed on the grill with-in minutes...unfortunately we just ate the last three ears we grew this year. Not only would I like a bigger shop, but a bigger garden area would be almost as sweet as this years crop.

how long do you cook the corn in the husk on the grill.
Going to try that this weekend. I've always just shucked it and boiled it.

Depends on how hot the grill is.. Generally around 10 minutes or so. The outside could layers of husk usually get as bit dark but only maybe one looks at all burnt. Some folks soak it in water for a few minutes first, but I've never seen that much difference.

Interesting idea on the shake Ted, I wonder if it'd work on grilled corn.. Have to try that.

how long do you cook the corn in the husk on the grill.
Going to try that this weekend. I've always just shucked it and boiled it.

Grilled is the only way I cook corn on the cob. I usually soak the ears in cold water for a few minutes (or simply hold them under a running faucet to get the inside a bit wet), then put them on a hot grill, rotating them as the outer husks turn dark brown or black. When the entire outer layer of husk is dark roasted, I figure the corn inside is done. (And I've never had any that was overcooked.)

...Also means we can do the whole dinner on the grill...

My wife strongly dislikes cooking smells in the house :)rolleyes:) so I tend to cook a fair amount of "grill only" dinners. One of my standard meals (at least when I'm in LA) is steak, sweet onion slices, bell peppers (red, green, yellow or orange), corn, and sliced fresh pineapple, all cooked on the grill.

I'm planning to grill some corn this weekend and might have to try doing it in the shuck after reading what you guys said. :thumb:

My usual process with grilled corn is to shuck it, clean off all the silks, rinse thoroughly and slather it with butter or margarine. Then, sprinkle it with a little garlic powder before placing it on a hot grill. Let grill marks develop but turn occasionally to keep it from burning. After 12-15 minutes, I place each ear in a dish made for one ear of corn in which I've put plenty of margarine to roll it around in. Letting some of the kernels get grill marks sweetens it nicely!

(And I've never had any that was overcooked.)

I've noticed the same thing and wondered about it - it seems like cooking them like this removes some of the risk of overcooking because I know I've cooked them way more than I would have been able to get away with on the stove. I'm sure there's a perfectly interesting scientific explanation for it but I have no idea what it would be..

My wife strongly dislikes cooking smells in the house :)rolleyes:) so I tend to cook a fair amount of "grill only" dinners.

More of a heat issue during the summer here, we both love cooking smells especially if it involves bread or garlic or meat or .. :D There's also the nominal efficiency of only one heated thing (not that the grill is the most efficient cooking mechanism ever, but if you're already heating it up anyway...).

...More of a heat issue during the summer here, we both love cooking smells especially if it involves bread or garlic or meat or .. :D There's also the nominal efficiency of only one heated thing (not that the grill is the most efficient cooking mechanism ever, but if you're already heating it up anyway...).

If only my life was that simple. :rolleyes: She LOVES bacon. She HATES the smell of bacon cooking. (So I cook that on the grill, too.) And garlic is completely out of the question. I love garlic, but don't eat it (let alone cook it) if I'm in the same town as her, just so I don't have to hear the complaints. Sorry...sore subject. :bang:

Made the corn on the grill last night. Made 3 ears grilled at 600 degrees until browned all over, about 15 minutes.......best corn we ever had :score:
My wife said that we will never boil it again.

The porterhouse steaks and grilled mushrooms weren't too bad either :D