Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell off the brewing slippery slope

Fell off the brewing slippery slope

In a by chance conversation with an old co-worker, at lunch a few weeks back, I mentioned I was wanting to try brewing some beer. He mentioned that he had a Kegerator and some kegs I could have if I wanted them. He and his wife don't drink, but they used to own a KOA camp ground for a few years and he brewed root beer for the patrons there, it just sits in his basement now. He sent me pics and says he has 10 kegs to go with the setup, just needs a co2 tank. I'm picking it up this weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140825_201650_399.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	85338 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140825_201715_441.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	85339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140825_203953_057.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	85340

After some nudging I got him to charge me $200 for all of it though, I felt bad just taking it as none of this stuff is cheap. I know the kegerator new alone was about $600.

After lots of questions to another member here, I think I've got a vague grip on things I'll need for brewing. I ordered this kit last night and some cleaners for the equipment. I'll wait until I get the equipment to order new o-rings, lines, and an additional tap or two. As long as there is some hard cider flowing from one off the taps, my wife will allow it to adorn the sunroom downstairs...at least the kegerator.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That was a fortuitous lunch. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Couple of things.

First since that keg system had root beer running through it you will want to replace every (and I do mean every!) piece of rubber or plastic in the system or everything you put through it will taste like root beer (not in a good way). For the kegs that means new poppit valves, o rings (lid and tubes), pressure release valves (shop around for these, the process vary quite a bit and they aren't super cheap). Since you're returning 10 kegs you might do as well/better getting the gaskets from an industrial supply.. I used to have the mcmaster part #'s, and will see if i can dig them up (might still require to large of a buy, can't remember). For the tap on the kegerator replace the hose and corney connector with new. Since you plan to run cider through it you should also replace the shank assembly (that goes through the tower) and the tap itself with stainless. Cider will eat the chrome taps that come with this like candy (this might already have been done since soda eats them fairly bad as well but I wouldn't count on it). I'd also highly recommend replacing the tap itself with a "forward seal" tap, they get less gunky, have less contamination problems, and don't stick like the old rear seal ones do.

If you can boiling outside is conducive to domestic harmony... I brewed on a stove for years but boil overs are.. Well to common and painful to clean up.

Finally Welcome aboard the brewer train ! If you have any additional Q's would be happy to help!
    Last edited by Ryan Mooney; 08-28-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: a word

Welcome to the dark side, We've got beer....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks Ryan, appreciate the advice/suggestions. I think all the kegs are ball-locks, but will have to wait to see before I can order any new parts.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Welcome to the dark side, We've got beer....
    Beer trumps cookies.
    Darren

+1 on brewing outside. Nothing like being able to just hose the down the floor if you spill something or make a mess.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Beer trumps cookies.
    But beer cookies...them are the best!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    But beer cookies...them are the best!
    I think you confused cookies with cheese, but we'll forgive you

Also meant to mention that the capper in that kit will make you sad (but all the cappers in kits would make you sad so.. this one is no different). If you get to a stage in your life where cleaning lots of bottles sounds like fun (I'll have what he's getting) you might want to invest in a slightly better capper. Likely not a huge problem since you're going to mostly keg anyway and for small numbers of bottles that capper is just mildly annoying instead of outright insanity inducing (which it would be for large amounts of bottles). Pretty much any of the overarm cappers work reasonably well. I mention this because if you do end up bottling and start to wonder if there is some magic to not breaking bottles and having half applied caps.. well .. yep there is... a new capper

And really yes you should feel bad about that price! Straight up highway robbery!

For you guys that brew outside, can it be do on a turkey fryer or something like that? I'd like to try brewing, but so far have been intimidated by the equipment needed.