Thread: Not my job

Not my job

This is an example of the craftsmanship that we must endure bidding against. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409251462559.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	85343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409251472322.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	85344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409251484687.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	85345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409251495193.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	85346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409251506787.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	85347
    Notice the carrying stick for the deck is about a foot from the edge of the deck. Held up by 4x4's. Then we have a 6x6 holding up the roof sitting on the rim joist. I could go on for a long time but it pains me to much to think that someone is being paid to do this.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 08-29-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Seems like a fellow could get bored on that kind of a walk...

The fact that someone is getting paid for doing something, doesn't make him a professional, and even less a GOOD professional. I see similar things here all the time. What drives me mad is the fact that the guy who did it, did it wrong, and the guy who supervises him as well. Maybe it was drawn like that by the archiquect and they just followed the drawings... Dunno.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Seems like a fellow could get bored on that kind of a walk...
    For shame Ryan; that just groaned out.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    For shame Ryan; that just groaned out.
    You know Jim someone had to do it, I just stepped up to the plate first

Chuck, there are indeed a number of points on that one. I don't think I'm qualified to call them all out, but the first pic you shared pretty much tells the whole tale though You'd like to think it couldn't go a whole lot more downhill from there... (but might be surprised anyway)

Tokyo Japan
    Good grief, I'm no pro like you Chuck, but that hurts to see from all the way over here in Japan!

Want to bet there is not one qualified carpenter on the whole job?

I guess people get what they are willing to pay for, but man alive, the owner must not know any better..... I guess you CAN pay off the building inspector eh?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    It's probably being done by an unemployed relative of the owner. Reminds me of the job my BIL did (for $200 a day) on my fence and deck. I don't know what a carrying stick is, but shouldn't those posts holding up the roof go all the way to the ground?

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln