Thread: CSMS Dust Collection SOLVED

CSMS Dust Collection SOLVED

I broke the code, I did it, I am getting 98% dust control on a 10 inch Dewalt compound sliding miter saw....only for straight 90 cuts and bevels, about 75% on miters, but hey better then any other solutions I have seen. Here is what I did, seems counter initiative, but it WORKS. Built a small box, tried the big boxes, covering the entire saw, with the plastic strips,...yada yada doesn't work, I went small, box is no higher then the fence with an OPEN top, yes I said open top, makes it like a down draft table, then I ran my 4 inch DC hose directly to the 1 1/2 inch port on the saw with a 4 to 2 1/2 inch reducer, yes I know 2 1/2 inch is not a 1 1/2 inch, but here is where the counter intuitive part comes in, the space around the port adds air draw and actually improves the air flow, used a 1 1/2 inch by 6 inch piece of pvc on the saws dust port to help keep the DC hose and adapter on, and the last part on the saws duct collector boot I taped the bottom part closed to deflect debrie into the box. Here are some pics. Using a HF dust collector, I split the feed into the lower dust port and the upper saw port with two blast gates so if I need to use the miter part I just remove the box and feed to the upper port only. I also made the box to lock down with a cam lock, quick lock and unlock. I might also add as a side note I am using the long ranger blast gate control, very good system open a blast gate dust collector comes on, close the gate DC off. So what do you guys think of my solution

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	85394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	85395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 5.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	85396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 6.jpg 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	85397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 7.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	85398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 10.jpg 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	85401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 8.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	85399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 9.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	85400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	85392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC 2.jpg 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	85393
    Last edited by Mark E Smith; 08-29-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add pic

Mark,
    It looks like you have been with us for a bit but have been shy about posting. Let me first say welcome, glad you found us and second, thanks for sharing this slick solution to the dust problem. Interesting about the improved air flow using the larger connector.

Nice job Mark!

You've got me thinking if there's some kind of a hood I can make for my RAS now.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Mark,
    It looks like you have been with us for a bit but have been shy about posting. Let me first say welcome, glad you found us and second, thanks for sharing this slick solution to the dust problem. Interesting about the improved air flow using the larger connector.
    Thank you, I lurk about every so often, just never had anything interesting to add....the improved air flow surprised me too, best guess is that going from 4 inch down to inch and half was just too much restriction, but with all the space around the connection it pull enough air too improve the flow, same idea with leaving the top off the hood or half hood in my case. Only problem I had was keeping the DC hose on, solved when I put that long piece of PVC pipe. It moves around a bit but never falls off. Any one that is interested I can provide a more detailed description of the half hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Nice job Mark!

You've got me thinking if there's some kind of a hood I can make for my RAS now.
    I would think it would be much the same thing, saw dust is still being slung towards the back of the unit, probably work the same

I probably need to make a correction, the pvc pipe added to the dust port is actually 2 inch pvc thick wall with inch and half inside dia, fits snugly onto the CSMS dust port, so the DC dust hose adapter of 4:2 1/2 leaves about a half inch gap around the port, kept on by gravity,works well and allows every thing to move without binding as the saws moves.

Elegant solution to a vexing problem. Well done.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com