CSMS Dust Collection SOLVED

Mark E Smith

I broke the code, I did it, I am getting 98% dust control on a 10 inch Dewalt compound sliding miter saw....only for straight 90 cuts and bevels, about 75% on miters, but hey better then any other solutions I have seen. Here is what I did, seems counter initiative, but it WORKS. Built a small box, tried the big boxes, covering the entire saw, with the plastic strips,...yada yada doesn't work, I went small, box is no higher then the fence with an OPEN top, yes I said open top, makes it like a down draft table, then I ran my 4 inch DC hose directly to the 1 1/2 inch port on the saw with a 4 to 2 1/2 inch reducer, yes I know 2 1/2 inch is not a 1 1/2 inch, but here is where the counter intuitive part comes in, the space around the port adds air draw and actually improves the air flow, used a 1 1/2 inch by 6 inch piece of pvc on the saws dust port to help keep the DC hose and adapter on, and the last part on the saws duct collector boot I taped the bottom part closed to deflect debrie into the box. Here are some pics. Using a HF dust collector, I split the feed into the lower dust port and the upper saw port with two blast gates so if I need to use the miter part I just remove the box and feed to the upper port only. I also made the box to lock down with a cam lock, quick lock and unlock. I might also add as a side note I am using the long ranger blast gate control, very good system open a blast gate dust collector comes on, close the gate DC off. So what do you guys think of my solution

DC 3.jpgDC 4.jpgDC 5.jpgDC 6.jpgDC 7.jpgDC 10.jpgDC 8.jpgDC 9.jpgDC 1.jpgDC 2.jpg

Last edited:
Mark,
It looks like you have been with us for a bit but have been shy about posting. Let me first say welcome, glad you found us and second, thanks for sharing this slick solution to the dust problem. Interesting about the improved air flow using the larger connector.

Mark,
It looks like you have been with us for a bit but have been shy about posting. Let me first say welcome, glad you found us and second, thanks for sharing this slick solution to the dust problem. Interesting about the improved air flow using the larger connector.

Thank you, I lurk about every so often, just never had anything interesting to add....the improved air flow surprised me too, best guess is that going from 4 inch down to inch and half was just too much restriction, but with all the space around the connection it pull enough air too improve the flow, same idea with leaving the top off the hood or half hood in my case. Only problem I had was keeping the DC hose on, solved when I put that long piece of PVC pipe. It moves around a bit but never falls off. Any one that is interested I can provide a more detailed description of the half hood.

I probably need to make a correction, the pvc pipe added to the dust port is actually 2 inch pvc thick wall with inch and half inside dia, fits snugly onto the CSMS dust port, so the DC dust hose adapter of 4:2 1/2 leaves about a half inch gap around the port, kept on by gravity,works well and allows every thing to move without binding as the saws moves.