Bowl turning question

Roger Tulk

When turning aged or kiln-dried wood, is it still necessary to put it away and wait 6 months before finishing it, or can you just turn to final dimensions and have done with it. One of the pieces I am planning on is a mortar and pestle, which will have sides or about 5/8". The others are regular bowls with thin walls.

Roger,
I agree with the others, but suggest you still be prepared for a little wood movement. Bowl blanks are usually pretty thick and when you open them up they almost always will move a bit.

Thanks again. I have several bowl blanks that I bought locally. I'm waiting to get a bit of experience before I waste that money.

I have a piece of wood that I squared today. It is very heavy, reddish, has close growth rings (1/8 to 3/16") and has short dark streaks running the direction of the wood fibres. I'm thinking maybe red oak, and from the looks of the end, it was probably a beam in a building. I got it from my neighbour's firewood pile, where else. I have made some 2" thick pine blanks for practice.