new batch of jerusalem cross advent candle holders

Dan Noren

Staff member
since these sold out the last couple of years, it is time to make a new batch. got all of the parts planed to thickness and cut to size (except for the small end parts).

Attachments

• 001 jerusalem cross advent candle holder parts cut.jpg
    001 jerusalem cross advent candle holder parts cut.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 37
I take it these are fairly large (12" or so.) Can you post a pic of one of the finished ones from last year? I might be interested in doing a few, if you don't mind.

Ditto. Can we see a pic of the finished project? (Or maybe I should just do a search and find last years post. ;o) )

hang on you two and i'll have pics up in a second, i'll even send the sketchup drawings too. you were just about right roger, they are 10" x 10", walnut and hard maple. today i got all of the ends cut. then came a call....

Attachments

• 001 ends cut.jpg
    001 ends cut.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 43
  • jer cross finished.jpg
    jer cross finished.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 47
  • jer cross finished with candles.jpg
    jer cross finished with candles.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
with the purchase of the new table saw blade (old one had become ever so slightly warped after about 5 year of hard use), i'll be setting up the sled tomorrow to make the half lap cuts in the walnut and maple parts.

Dan i like these but....my concern as a buyer would be where does wax go when i light these candles.

Is there not a option to say add a piece of say frosted glass to the base with some thin stick on clear rubber dot feet.

Just thinking aloud but at one point in time Linda had a glass cutting board much like I am describing.
It was pretty tough and edges were ground and it was cheap.

That would permit cleaning off of wax. Of course most probably dont light the candles i guess.

I would also look to see if say a place like Michaels or a dollar store has a wreath sized to be able to accomodate the holder in the middle and show it as a center piece.

Little marketing touches to help provide prospective online buyers with how to present it. Adds contrasting color to show wood.

Just some thoughts .

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

made sure that everything was cut to proper lengths, and made a new sled just for cutting the manifold half laps for this project.

Attachments

• 002 new sled for cutting half laps.jpg
    002 new sled for cutting half laps.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 20
got all of the dadoes and half laps done yesterday. now it is just sanding and assembling, hopefully that will go well. that little sled worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 005 maple parts half laps cut.jpg
    005 maple parts half laps cut.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 004 walnut parts dadoes finished.jpg
    004 walnut parts dadoes finished.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 19
  • 003 first dadoes on walnut parts.jpg
    003 first dadoes on walnut parts.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 18
had to go a bit deeper on the main half laps, that sled sure came in handy again. all main parts of the crosses are a good tight fit, no glue needed. laid out the marks for the holes to be drilled a couple of days ago, and the holes will be drilled tomorrow.

Attachments

• 006 main parts assembled.jpg
    006 main parts assembled.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 17
in spite of everything that got in the way yesterday, got some more done on the batch. got all of the walnut parts assembled, oiled, and the brass candle inserts put in place. now to get going on the maple parts....

Attachments

• 008 walnut parts assembled oiled and brass inserts in.jpg
    008 walnut parts assembled oiled and brass inserts in.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 17
got the maple parts sanded down, assembled, and glued into the walnut part. all that is left is to give the maple parts a coat of oil, and they're all done.

Attachments

• 009 maple parts assembled and glued in place.jpg
    009 maple parts assembled and glued in place.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 15