Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iBox jig users

iBox jig users

Tell me about the blades you use in your saw with this jig. I have a 6" Freud stacking dado set I plan to use in that little Rockwell saw I picked up a while back. Didn't come with a fence so this is perfect for it. It is a 10" saw but the dado set will work.

Anybody get the blade specific for this jig? Worth it?

Plan to make a bunch of trays for the 39 file cabinet drawers. Thinking 1/4" fingers with 1/4" ply.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I haven't used my iBox very much. My testing has been with my Freud 8" dado set. The specific set shouldn't make a difference due to the way the jig calibrates to the blade.

Saying that, I did have an issue with fit when I started testing it. I followed the instructions and video and still didn't get a good fit. I emailed Incra tech support and was told that you usually have to use a shim against the blade to get a tight-fitting joint. He said it takes a little experimentation, which is what I found. The shim I used was a folded Post-It note.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Hmmmm.....gonna have to find the DVD or get a remedial lesson from Glenn. My dado set has a bunch of shim stock. Just wonder if a dedicated 1/4" blade made things less fussy.

The toolaholic in me is nudging my empty wallet.

Thanks, Bill, for the shim tip.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I've been using a Freud 8" dado stack, but noticed I have to run through slow to get a square kerf, otherwise it's a somewhat uneven kerf.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The shim is not on the blade set, it's used between the blade and the side of the iBox tab to improve the fit. I checked my dado set with the outer blades and they measure exactly 0.25" on a good caliper. The shim has to go between the iBox tab and blade before lockdown. I know the jig is supposed to take care of itself, but .....
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I have the Freud Box Joint set (2 blades, can do either 1/4" or 3/8", depending on which way they're stacked). Works flawlessly for me.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I have the Freud Box Joint set (2 blades, can do either 1/4" or 3/8", depending on which way they're stacked). Works flawlessly for me.
    +1 on the box joint set. Perfectly square cuts, and easy to adjust.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    +1 on the box joint set. Perfectly square cuts, and easy to adjust.
    +2 I really like the set up, works perfect every time!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    easy to adjust.
    As in, No adjustments! Put it together one way, your get 1/4, the other way, 3/8. No shims or nothing.

I believe a wise wood worker once told me something about adjustability, marketing and tools. I think she had some very strong opinions about it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

As much as I use a sac-fence with a key stuck in it, I do have the i-Box and do use it. The width of the kerf is of little consequence as long as it is consitent. It does not have to be perfectly one quarter inch or perfectly three eights inch, etc. unless you are spacing fingers along a pre-defined width (which I do not recommend).

The depth of the cut needs to be adequate to make the finger seat just slightly proud of the surface so that it can be sanded or pared down (IMHO). The width does need to be consistent but, the jig takes care of the spacing for you.

The ability of the cutter to cut cleanly is important. On ply, I run a wheel gauge across the back edge to help with this as I find it quicker than re-clamping the stock to the backer board for each cut. Clamping (or a stronger grip than I have) to the backer will also help with a cleaner cut.

As to the refresher lessons . . . anytime.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke