A Couple of Sketches From This Morning

Dave Richards

A cabinet based on one from Sweden in the mid-1800s. The center drawer front is actually a door that is hinged on the right. A nice little surprise. The original is painted and distressed.

This is a coffee table from Brazil c. 1962

Thanks Bob.

Here's something I doodled up this morning just for the practice.

Mouseman Student Desk

This is based on a student desk by Robert "Mouseman" Thompson. Made in England in the 1930s of oak it was designed to seat three students on each side. There were only three of these desks ever built. Detailing including the signature mouse and joinery still to do.

The coffee table doesn't quite suit me and yet I think it would be interesting to build.

I agree on the coffee table.

Me too!! :wave:

I was caught by the mental challenge of how I would engineer it / construct it, even though I wouldn't WANT it...
The bent veneer would be quite something, I think. The engineering might be something as simple as a round disc of plywood underneath screwed to the bottom.

Now the artsy-farts approach would be to have the top sunken maybe a half inch, so the edge is higher, then put a round piece in the middle, and then the whole thing looks more like a flower, like a giant black-eyed-susan or something like it. Easily a 5 digit price tag and a gallery showing. Well, I'm done now, don't need to actually build it! :rofl:

Art, 5 digits is right on. You can buy a modern copy of that table for $16,050USD plus shipping from Brazil but there's a 20-22 week lead time.

Interesting, I wonder what the original purpose of the space behind the top center door on the cabinet was.

I can sort of see how you did the table with the textures, although I admit its well beyond any sketchup skills I have :D Looks really realistic though :thumb: And who knew it would be so expensive :eek: It doesn't look all THAT hard to build (I'd do a layered veneer glue up).

Ryan, I have no idea but I was thinking if it was used as a sideboard in a dining room, the center section could hold a small silverware chest. We have one in a drawer of our sideboard but to open the lid wide enough so it'll stay open you have to take it out of the drawer.

The table really isn't that complex to draw. I drew a curved L shape and extruded that. Then I made cutters to cut the angle on the top using Intersect Faces. For the bottom angles and the radius, I just drew a sort of V shape and used Push/Pull.

Ryan, I have no idea but I was thinking if it was used as a sideboard in a dining room, the center section could hold a small silverware chest. We have one in a drawer of our sideboard but to open the lid wide enough so it'll stay open you have to take it out of the drawer.

That would make sense.

Its interesting to see how usage of furniture has changed so much even in the last 20-30 years not to mention the last 200 years. I know of quite a few people who still have carving sets (roast, not wood) in a small box/chest but the commonality of selverware chests has definitely declined.

The table really isn't that complex to draw. I drew a curved L shape and extruded that. Then I made cutters to cut the angle on the top using Intersect Faces. For the bottom angles and the radius, I just drew a sort of V shape and used Push/Pull.

:D Yeah the principle is simple, its the application of the principle where us normals get lost.