A Couple of Audio Samples from Friday Night

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Had a few folks ask for these, so here goes...

I'll be the first to admit I made plenty of mistakes in both of these songs, but in my defense, this was only the third time I'd played these songs with the band, and the first time in public. :eek:
Some of the mistakes on the last song (Highway Star) were because people were crowding the stage to give us high-fives as we were playing. :highfive:

These were recorded with a Zoom portable stereo audio recorder set up in front of the sound man's table in the middle of the venue. A direct recording off the mixing board would likely have been a lot cleaner.

Carry On My Wayward Son

Highway Star

Despite the sloppy playing, we still had more fun than should be legally allowed. :headbang:

Vaughn....is that you playing lead guitar? :guitar: :headbang: :bow: Great sound!!

Thanks, Tom. The band was comprised of my LONG time friend Steve Brittenham on keyboards (Steve and I toured together back in the early '80s), Rick Gonzales on bass, Marianna Klein on vocals, Billy Van Zile on drums, and me on guitar. I was a substitute guitarist, as the regular guitarist (who's also the leader and namesake of the band) was badly hurt in a motorcycle wreck 6 or 7 weeks ago. (He's still in the hospital.) I have at least a couple more gigs on the calendar with this band.

IMG_4422%20Cropped%20800.jpg

Steve is one of my best friends, and Friday and Saturday were the first full shows we've played together in over 30 years. It made things that much more special for us. :thumb:

vaughn around 2.23 on the deep purple song is that guitar or keyboard music
?

That's keyboards. Originally recorded by Deep Purple on a Hammond organ, but these days, there are electronic versions that sound just as good. (The original Hammond organs were mechanical devices as much as electronic ones.) I think Steve was playing his Korg synthesizer on that part.