Dedicated iBox marriage - DONE

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The plan is to marry the iBox jig to a bench top saw. Because I have the saw available and I don't have a better tablesaw available, and because I have a zillion boxes to make. And now that I have seen Glenn's sled support, hmmmm....

The saw is a Rockwell benchtop belt drive. It needs a little sprucing up.

So far:

Ready for surgery:

RW-1.jpg

What kind of lube should I use between the cast aluminum and the steel in two spots?

RW-3.jpg

RW-2.jpg

This little critter is a small belt drive. But it runs well.

RW-4.jpg

Last edited:
I think lithium would attract sawdust and create a mucky mess. The dry lube I was looking is spray graphite. I do have a large can packed away somewhere, but have not been able to find a small can. So, using the Blaster version of WD40 until I find that big can. I wanna get on with the project.

IBOX SAW 3.jpg

iBox aW 2.jpg

iBox saw 1.jpg

Began yesterday with dismantling the saw. Washed parts with Dawn and rinsed. Put ArmourAll on the plastic front. That looked nice. Sanded off rust on friction surfaces - good enough for this application. Lubed with Blaster Lube. Put it back together and it adjusts OK and run fine. A screamer though, as are benchtop saws.

Then the iBox jig. Some time back I took it to Glenn and he gave me a primer for which I treasure family members here. First problem popped up immediately. His saw tilts in the opposite direction. Back to the directions. Fussy little critter but it is together and fits the saw well. No test cuts though yet. Have to get some stock milled first.

Next up. Mill some stock and commence with tray building for the file drawers.

However we have a 40% chance of rain tomorrow. YEA! But nearly all my stuff is under tarps. This evening when it cools down again I will go out with more tarps and duct tape and wrap the whole package of lumber, file cabs, and saw with a big tarp and lots of duct tape to shed water like a ducks back.

Hope I don't jinx the rain.

Looks good, Carol. :thumb: have you decided on what blade to use for it? (I'll throw in another vote for the Freud Box Joint set.) ;)

Using my Freud stacked dado set. Its on hand. If I get poor results, I'll consider the box joint set.

Think I jinxed the rain though. Hope not.

One thing, if you are going to set this up on some kind of a stand, make a stand that is lower than a regular tablesaw would be. I have made a bunch of boxes on my iBox and the height of my SawStop while standing over the iBox for an extended period of time is hard on the back, I stand on a box that raises me up about 4" much easier on the back.

Cheers!

Thanks, Stu. Good to know, especially with my back. I do have adjustable height work tables to clamp it on. Hadn't planned on a stand.

Carol, your project looks like it turned out mighty nice! Great little setup!!!

Stu, I'll have to remember your advice about a box to stand on to relieve my back. Good suggestion!