Another Intarsia Box

Mike Mathieu

Hi Everyone
Here are a few photos of another box I just finished. This one is made from Peruvian Walnut and measures 6" x 8" x 3 ".
The Intarsia consists of 33 pieces from 8 different woods. The inside of the lid is Mahogany with laser engraved lettering. I made this one for my new grandson in San Diego whom I will meet for the first time next week.
IMG_7016.jpg IMG_7028.jpg IMG_7029.jpg

Beautiful image very inspirational Mike. I like this kind of style and finish over the ones where the pieces are i guess thicker and round over on the edges more and shiny with finish.
How do you do that oval band. Are the "rope" grooves carved?

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys
To Rob-I use a dremal tool with a 5/64" high speed cutter to carve in the lines while the pattern is still attached to the wood. Once the lines are cut in, I remove the pattern and round over the edges with a 1/2" drum sander then sand with 320 grit sand paper.

Those craggy 'rocks' really catch the eye and the birds on the wing really give it depth.

Agreed, the texturing on the rocks sells it for me. I also like the rope wrap around it, works quite well with the subject matter. The single band around the bottom is also a nice tie in with the colors on the top and makes the piece whole.