My shop

Mostly have it all done now. Drywall and insulation all done and the subpanel and outlets in place.

I have to do some more mudding and taping and put my shelves back on the wall.

I'm using a portable 1500w electric heater for now but waiting to hear back on the gas ceiling tube radiant heater. It's only bottoming out around freezing here so far so it's not bad for temps.

With the electrical work done it sure is nice to finally have my General Intl 50-270 3HP saw running. I wasted so much time work no around not having a table saw before now.

Ill post some pics soon.

-Darryl

Yes there will be a couple of 220v circuits. I have a General Int. 270K 3HP saw that I'm waiting to get hooked up.

Ideally I'd like to get a clearvue 1800 cyclone but not 100% decided yet.

Sounds like you should have at least 3 240 volt circuits. The saw is so central to everything that you will probably want to leave it connected. The dust collector runs when other machines are in use, so it needs it's own circuit. Then the third circuit for intermittently used machines.

Ideally I'd like to get a clearvue 1800 cyclone but not 100% decided yet.

I like the radiant heating idea but not sure on the cost.

I love my Clearvue Cyclone. I have the Max rather than the 1800, so that I can just leave the saw "open" at all times.

The cyclone adds a lot of heat to the shop. I also like to run it as an air cleaner, since it is better than the separate air filters often hung from the ceiling, so in cold weather, it runs more of the time. Air temperature is technically how much the air molecules are vibrating; running hundreds of cfm through a fan and filter makes the air vibrate, in addition to the heat of a 5 hp motor. Don't spec the aux heat until you have the cyclone installed.

I don't know about radiant heat. I find that all the cast iron in the machines in my shop makes it take a long time to bring the shop up to temperature, and it holds the temperature a long time. The idea of leaving the shop near freezing, then warming it for use may take longer than you expect.

For finishing I'm planning water based hvlp spraying and the rest by hand. I don't have an hvlp yet though. I'm looking at the Fuji mini mite or gold 4.

I keep a choice "already made" for many machines in case an existing machine dies and has to be replaced in a hurry. My "possible future" HVLP system is the Fuji 3 or 4 stage, with gravity feed gun. I don't remember why I ruled out the mini mite.

For now I just have one 240v circuit but there are 13 empty breaker spots in my Subpanel. I'm still planning on get the cv1800 but it will have to wait a few months till I have the cash. Right now I don't have any other 240v tools but maybe in the future i will.

-Darryl

if you could swing it daryl i would look into at least one window, for two reasons.. first you could put in your window AC unit in the bottom part, and two some daylight to look out while in the shop is very nice.. as for the wood floor goes i wish i had done that in my shop but like leo said if your gonna bring in other things cars or snow blowers and such then you got water leakage to deal with..
There you go again window shopping. Larry's been this way ever since I took him to Grizzly Industrial. Just like a monkey expecting a dime or a quarter in his cup. Just play the right tune & there he is. HA HA.

Hi Darryl,

It might be possible to have too much illumination, however it would be a dumb thing to do---after all you have to have room for tools. The luminaire you have chosen appears to be fine for general illumination. However, I am sure you will do what most illuminating engineers would suggest; add supplemental illumination (called task lighting) for locations where you really want to see, i.e. lathe, DP, sharpening area.

It sounds like you are building a great shop. I hope you get a ton of enjoyment from it.

Enjoy,
JimB

Hi Jim, you raised something interesting here, from your optician experience what would you recommend? My shop is well lit, and I very seldom use task lights, only when I am carving and I set them quite low respect to the piece I am carving to help me see the volumes better and the shadows they cast. If I carve with my ceiling light my carvings appear to be flat, and I have to switch some of them off. However, when I'm woodworking I like to see what I am cutting, marking or planning. In my shop I have 9 single fluorescent tubes evenly distributed. I have to mention here that my shop gets very poor day light.
Darryl, sorry for hijacking the thread, when you say mess, what mess are you referring to? my shop tends to look worse than that when I am working on a project. :D;)

I just had everything spread everywhere while I was drywalling. It's a lot better now but still some cleanup and organizing to do..CameraZOOM-20141119181704543~01.jpgCameraZOOM-20141119181653912~01.jpgCameraZOOM-20141119181712806~01.jpgCameraZOOM-20141119181719091~01.jpg