Another mike from Eastern washington

Tried to register as Mike but it seems some one with the same name beat me to it!!! :huh: Retired plastering contractor. wife kids and grandkids keep me busy but I love making things out of wood and restoring 20's and 30's lighting.

I like making boxes and furniture. Walnut and big leaf maple are my favorites. Buy sell and trade wood here and there. Have to stay busy.
Hope to learn and maybe teach-but most of all here to have a good time. Tried to add a couple pictures- Lets see how I did.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 38
Howdy Mike! Welcome aboard.

Looks like the pics came through dandy. That's some delightfully burly goodness you have there. Love the curvy shape on the boxes, makes them sorry of look a bit like marble with the figure.

Welcome aboard, Mike. :wave: Nice-looking work indeed. :thumb: Strange coincidence, the other Mike Stafford around here is also well-known for his boxes, although he specializes in round ones made on a lathe.

Welcome aboard, Mike. :wave: Nice-looking work indeed. :thumb: Strange coincidence, the other Mike Stafford around here is also well-known for his boxes, although he specializes in round ones made on a lathe.

That is funny- I have a lathe but it's only use is to take up space and store un-needed dust!:)

Welcome Mike,

You are second person with my name I have encountered who works with wood and to me that is strange.

I used to be make a lot of flat work boxes until I discovered the lathe. In fact I started using the lathe to turn knobs and handles for my flatwork boxes.

Here are a few pictures of some of my boxes from the B.T. period. That's Before Turning......

Walnut jewelry.JPG

Waljewelryopen.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

2ndtoolbox.JPG

toolboxtopopen.JPG

Swivelopen (Small).JPG

Attachments

• Swivellids.JPG
    Swivellids.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Welcome Mike,

You are second person with my name I have encountered who works with wood and to me that is strange.

I used to be make a lot of flat work boxes until I discovered the lathe. In fact I started using the lathe to turn knobs and handles for my flatwork boxes.

Here are a few pictures of some of my boxes from the B.T. period. That's Before Turning......

View attachment 85706

View attachment 85705

View attachment 85707

View attachment 85708

View attachment 85709

View attachment 85710

View attachment 85711

Mike what are you doing with my name- wrong coast!!!:huh: Nice work.

welcome mike ..i see you have a craving for special wood too:) what is that red burl you showed us?

I love special little pieces of wood. Just changed computers and unfortunately most pictures are in limbo- but I am getting there.

Wood is spalted Big leaf maple. Couple more pictures-big leaf quilt- burl- a guess this wood and a little larger box. Good place to practice pictures here.

Attachments

• DSC_0070s.jpg
    DSC_0070s.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0072s.jpg
    DSC_0072s.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0025ss.jpg
    DSC_0025ss.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0015ss.JPG
    DSC_0015ss.JPG