LOML Yard Sale Find...

except for being yellow, that looks just like the machine cabinet my mother had for years down to the rosettes on the drawers... matter of fact, when I was 10 I tried to move the machine and wound up dropping one of the little wheels on the legs onto my big toe... mashed it bad enough that I lost the nail... ... Mom's was the original treadle machine like this one was originally.... if it had an electric in it, then it was converted.

The wood underneath is probably a dark stained veneer over a non-descript wood or maybe even real walnut.
That will look nice if you can refinish it.

... Mom's was the original treadle machine like this one was originally.... if it had an electric in it, then it was converted.

The wood underneath is probably a dark stained veneer over a non-descript wood or maybe even real walnut. That will look nice if you can refinish it.

Chuck, this cabinet had a beat up electric machine in it that my wife promptly hauled off. She has another electric she wants to put in the cabinet when we get it refinished. All of the treadle parts still work, so it'll look original from that standpoint.

The visible areas of the cabinet are oak veneer that is probably at least 1/32" glued to 3/4" plywood. Other smaller pieces of secondary wood are oak; some looks like QSWO.

Removing the yellow paint has proven to be more tedious than we thought originally. All of the surfaces being oak provided a lot of grain for the paint to settle into. Bobbie has been using a variety of pointed instruments to dig out the paint! Better her than me!!!