Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool weather coming (at least around me) and that means CHILI!

Wapakoneta, OH

Cool weather coming (at least around me) and that means CHILI!

My second favorite food is chili, second only to something off the grill. Anyway, maybe this weekend I'll be making the first pot of the season. But my question is; does anyone have a single "secret" ingredient they consider their "must have" (besides lots of hot seasonings) for chili, that they would like to share? When my wife made it, she considered her secret a can of Coke (yes, that's as bad as it sounds). For me I don't have a secret, pretty much sticking to the norms, but I'm always looking for that next flavor to add.
    Last edited by fred hargis; 09-09-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to capitalize "Coke", to keep someone from misinterpreting the word (LOL)

DSM, IA
    I was just telling my wife last night that chili season is coming soon and I can't wait! I don't have a secrets or absolute ingredients...except for corn bread placed in the bottom of the bowl before the chili!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Independence, Kentucky
    Lots of Cumin, and a little Cinnamon, One of my favorite foods for sure.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Had a friend of mine that made a Killer Chili and his secret was Chocolate but he wouldn't tell me anymore
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Chili does sound good, but not quite cold enough here yet. I actually mix in a heaping tablespoon or so of yellow mustard, gives it a nice tang. I don't have any special recipe though, usually just plain ole pack of Williams Chili Seasoning, can or two of sweet onion/tomato, and can of mild rotel.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    [QUOTE=Jay Caughron;412988]Had a friend of mine that made a Killer Chili and
    his secret was chocolate
    It should be Baker's Dark Chocolate. (couple of squares)
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Thomasville, GA
    For us, chili season is year-round. We make a large pot - about 4 gallons - give some to the neighbor and freeze 10 or so 4-cup containers so we can have it anytime we want. I had some on my hot dogs today! We make a new pot every 3-4 months.

About 20 years ago, I worked with a basic recipe and tweaked it until we had what we like. I can't say there's a 'secret' ingredient - just the right combination of things to make it 'right'. Cumin was mentioned earlier. I like to add masa harina (or just process some corn meal) to add some flavor and thickening. I also add a little lime juice to complement the tomatoes.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Wapakoneta, OH
    Maybe I do have one magic ingredient, at least around this time of the year: I can make it with fresh tomatoes! Most of the rest of the year I just use ones we've canned....still good, but not like fresh. A couple of folks mentioned cumin; to me that's one of the basics...maybe everyone doesn't use that after all?

ABQ NM
    The can of Coke is a trick I've seen used when cooking beans. (Primarily pinto beans in my part of the country.) Adds a bit of sweetness, but more importantly, seems to kill off much of the gas. Chocolate in chili is also something I've known people to use.

Of course around here, we don't eat much chili, but tons of chile. In NM, there's a big difference between chili (with an I) and chile (with an E). But I like both of 'em.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Reno, Nv
    A frequent bean failure is to add acid to them before cooked, it stops the cooking process of the bean...tomato products at the top of the list, soda (carbonic acid)...any acid citric or otherwise. Cumin, coriander...coco powder, tomato paste...time to have a lash!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots