Cool weather coming (at least around me) and that means CHILI!

fred hargis

My second favorite food is chili, second only to something off the grill. Anyway, maybe this weekend I'll be making the first pot of the season. But my question is; does anyone have a single "secret" ingredient they consider their "must have" (besides lots of hot seasonings) for chili, that they would like to share? When my wife made it, she considered her secret a can of Coke (yes, that's as bad as it sounds). For me I don't have a secret, pretty much sticking to the norms, but I'm always looking for that next flavor to add.

Last edited:
I was just telling my wife last night that chili season is coming soon and I can't wait! I don't have a secrets or absolute ingredients...except for corn bread placed in the bottom of the bowl before the chili!

Chili does sound good, but not quite cold enough here yet. I actually mix in a heaping tablespoon or so of yellow mustard, gives it a nice tang. I don't have any special recipe though, usually just plain ole pack of Williams Chili Seasoning, can or two of sweet onion/tomato, and can of mild rotel.

For us, chili season is year-round. We make a large pot - about 4 gallons - give some to the neighbor and freeze 10 or so 4-cup containers so we can have it anytime we want. I had some on my hot dogs today! We make a new pot every 3-4 months.

About 20 years ago, I worked with a basic recipe and tweaked it until we had what we like. I can't say there's a 'secret' ingredient - just the right combination of things to make it 'right'. Cumin was mentioned earlier. I like to add masa harina (or just process some corn meal) to add some flavor and thickening. I also add a little lime juice to complement the tomatoes.

Maybe I do have one magic ingredient, at least around this time of the year: I can make it with fresh tomatoes! Most of the rest of the year I just use ones we've canned....still good, but not like fresh. A couple of folks mentioned cumin; to me that's one of the basics...maybe everyone doesn't use that after all?

The can of Coke is a trick I've seen used when cooking beans. (Primarily pinto beans in my part of the country.) Adds a bit of sweetness, but more importantly, seems to kill off much of the gas. Chocolate in chili is also something I've known people to use.

Of course around here, we don't eat much chili, but tons of chile. In NM, there's a big difference between chili (with an I) and chile (with an E). But I like both of 'em. :thumb:

A frequent bean failure is to add acid to them before cooked, it stops the cooking process of the bean...tomato products at the top of the list, soda (carbonic acid)...any acid citric or otherwise. Cumin, coriander...coco powder, tomato paste...time to have a lash!!

Peanut butter, just a tad...;)

I'd say you were crazy but there are two places by us that put a smidge of peanut butter on their burgers and man there ain't no going back once you've had one (except the one place has a burger with cheese steak fixins and brined green chili's on top, hard to turn that one down. The "black Molly" at Killer Burger in Bingen Washington across from Hood River OR if anyone is driving through. The other place is Everybody's Brewing in white salmon up the hill, ask for the triple x).

I'm trying this one!!

A wee bit of tomato paste for extra density of flavor.

Lots and I mean LOTS of fresh ground dried ancho chili's (basically chili powder but as with most things the flavor is better if you can leave out as whole as possible until just before use).

Meat that's diced but not ground. Pre fried in a smidge of bacon fat.

I'll be the dissenting voice on the cumin. OK for tex-mex I guess, but after loml broke me of the habit it tastes like Indian food now (I like Indian food but not here. sorry :D).

+1 on the cornbread, i personally don't think chile is complete without it (like grilled cheese needs tomato soup). However I prefer to lay it in on top and then add more as I go (and maybe a little on the side.. Hmmm maybe chile is just a cornbread conveyance system)... Best with skillet cornbread made with freshly and coarsely ground corn meal. None of that NE cake bread for me (the boss would need to differ, it's one of the few points of contention in the kitchen. However she doesn't like to bake so I usually get my way there.. I'm making it, it's my style of cornbread!).

Now that you mentioned peanut butter, I should say I like it on my crackers while I'm eating chili. I told somone that and they looked at me like i was nuts; oh well, to each their own.

OK...never heard of it in chili, but I'm gonna try some peanut butter! It tastes great on everything else, right? :thumb:

Did a google search and saw this too...."peanut butter and siracha make a great, spicy combo"

Did a google search and saw this too...."peanut butter and siracha make a great, spicy combo"

They do.. Makes a great dipping sauce for fried bits of stuff.

I have a slight preference for the spicy/sweet vietnamese sauce Nuoc Cham Ga for that (http://www.amazon.com/bells-flower-sweet-chilli-sauce/dp/B00886FMOW - and yes I know thats not available there, but linked for the picture/description). I often add a wee dash of fish sauce as well (which generally gets the dogs pretty interested in whats going on in the kitchen if that tells you anything).