Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I get it now!

I get it now!

O' boy and me thought hand tools were addicting. So the management suggested that I buy a lathe; mind you, she has never suggested a tool purchase and I have never used a lathe. Figuring I would strike when the iron was hot and never turning (no pun) away from an offer for a tool, I read as much as could about lathes in the past three weeks. Yesterday and finally purchased one; I know Stu no pictures it didn't happen. While I was given a budget I think I did ok, Nova 16/44 and some accoutrements. Remember I have never turned anything in my life so after I set it up I chucked up a scrap of 10/4 maple that I cut into a 12" blank.

I must have horsed around for a half hour getting it round and making an attempt at beads and coves. All I can say is I now understand the enthusiasm that turners have towards their hobby. I also understand the frustration from amateur turners like myself.

I have a lot to learn for sure, but what gratification to have something take shape so quickly! By the way while I will try to keep them to a minimum, please prepare yourself for uninformed novice questions

Woot! Another one bites the (saw)dust! Now you can see what we've been talking about. (Wait until you spin some fresh, green wood. You'll giggle like a schoolgirl.) You and Chuck Hanger both took the dive at about the same time, and we'll be happy to answer any questions that might come up for either of you guys.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congrats Nick! As frustrating as it can be.....it can be instant gratification! I got shoved ...kicking and screaming into the Vortex last year. My name is Ken......I'm a spin crack addict..BEWARE! There are no 12 step programs for spin crack addicts! Enjoy!

Congratulations Nick. Yes, 'gratifying' is one word for the satisfaction of turning. I find 'theraputic' another that is applicable. Watching the wood spin, chips fly and a new form taking shape can take the mind off the stressful things in life.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hey Nick, you got the Nova 16/24?

Great buy on a great lathe!!

Boy, you are sunk now, hooked and landed!!

Now, first, you got to make some neat stuff for the boss, try a pen or two, and or the perfume dispenser things, or a bottle stopper or two, buy some nice chunks of burl and git it done!

and yeah, pics dude, we need pics !!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well Nick; What can I say. You are such a normal looking guy with a great big smile and it makes me feel good to see what must be an outstanding young citizen. Now look at what has happened. You are one of --------------------------------- THEM, never to be normal again.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 04-18-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    Now look at what has happened. You are one of --------------------------------- THEM, never to be normal again.
    Compliments will get you nowhere Allen
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    Well Nick; What can I say. You are such a normal looking guy with a great big smile and it make me feel good to see what must be an outstanding young citizen. Now look at what has happened. You are one of --------------------------------- THEM, never to be normal again.

Every thing is relative Allen!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Clayton View Post
    .... All I can say is I now understand the enthusiasm that turners have towards their hobby. I also understand the frustration from amateur turners like myself.
    You ain't seen nothing yet... Good snag.
    Mini Max Tool Acquisition Mediator.
    "An old man to most kids and a young man to those who are dead."

www.samantics2.com

I would like to add my 2 cents here. I have tried the turning thing a time or 2 and so far it hasn't grabbed my fancy. For me, turning is not really very fun at all. I read all these posts from people who just can't get enough and I just scratch my head and wonder what am I missing?
    I have often tried to figure out why I don't like it, and this is what I have come up with:
    I think the number one thing is that I don't consider myself a creative person, and I think turning is not an exact science and it is always hard to tell when you are done. I do much better when I have a plan and I can measure something, cut it out and put it together. (i know you can do this in turning, but to me it's not the same). I'm not too keen on design either.

I like taking my time, and working at a leisurely pace. I like to clamp my work piece down and have it stay put, not flying around at 90 mile an hour. If I can complete an entire project in 30 minutes, why bother?

So far, every time I turn something, I am uncomfortable, verging on scared while I turn. Especially when getting the blank round. It goes POW, POW, POW, POW, BANG, BANG, BANG and chips fly everywhere, hitting me in the arms and chest. To me that is now fun at all, just scary.

I think I am more of a Neanderthal type.

Just thought I would give you another view on the subject.