Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great turnings

Great turnings

made me want to try. Just ordered the Rikon mini to at least learn from. You turners don't realize what you have gotten into with questions and then there is of course answering to wife

Congrats, Chuck! We'll brace ourselves for turning questions, and since we're experienced in handling those "wife issues", so we can probably offer some help there if you need it, too. You and Nick Clayton are the latest Abysserees.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bring those questions on Chuck! Soon you'll be saying.......Hi! My name is Chuck.....I'm a spin crack addict.........BEWARE! There are no 12 step programs for spin crack addicts !

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats, Chuck! We'll brace ourselves for turning questions, and since we're experienced in handling those "wife issues", so we can probably offer some help there if you need it, too. You and Nick Clayton are the latest Abysserees.
    Vaughn is there anyway that I could have your phone number to you could talk to her direct? You are probably going to say something like "Chuck who" right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bring those questions on Chuck! Soon you'll be saying.......Hi! My name is Chuck.....I'm a spin crack addict.........BEWARE! There are no 12 step programs for spin crack addicts !
    I already told the wife that you were the one that caused this. She believes me, I think

I will keep working on her to make her believe that it was Vaughn and Ken that done it. You guys are in a world of hurt.
    Chuck

OK, all of you pros need to help me with what I need to buy before my wife catchs up with Vaughn and Ken. What is a good tool set? Don't want to just buy junk, but can not afford the best there is either.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hanger View Post
    Vaughn is there anyway that I could have your phone number to you could talk to her direct? You are probably going to say something like "Chuck who" right.
    No speeka da Englees.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hanger View Post
    OK, all of you pros need to help me with what I need to buy before my wife catchs up with Vaughn and Ken. What is a good tool set? Don't want to just buy junk, but can not afford the best there is either.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    Many of us start out on the Harbor Freight HSS (high-speed steel) chisel set for about $40 or so. Hard to beat in the "bang for the buck" department. Unlike some HF stuff, this set of tools is pretty decent for starting, but like most HF stuff, there are better tools available when it's time to upgrade. This is also a good set to experiment with sharpening techniques with, since you won't feel too guilty grinding away the steel as you learn.The next step above the HF stuff would probably be the Benjamin's Best tools from Penn State Industries. The Pinnacle tools at Woodcraft are also good quality for their price point (in my limited experience).

I'll let some of the other guys chime in with their suggestions.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Chuck....give your wife this number......`1-888-call-vaughn....

Hmmm... this seems to be a universal problem. I showed Doorlink bowl #1. She said, and I quote:

"Why are you spending time teaching yourself how to make something we don't need?"

So now, since her favorite color is purple, I working on a purpleheart bowl for her.

Needless to say, she remains unimpressed...

Thanks,

Bill

[QUOTE=Bill Lantry;36650]Hmmm... this seems to be a universal problem. I showed Doorlink bowl #1. She said, and I quote:

"Why are you spending time teaching yourself how to make something we don't need?"

I'd throw her back in the river and get a bigger worm. If she doesn't like that purpleheart, send it to me.

My husband used to tell his friends that he had the most fantastic wife, because she'd rather go to a hardware/tool store that any jewelry store!!