Great turnings

Chuck Hanger

made me want to try. Just ordered the Rikon mini to at least learn from. You turners don't realize what you have gotten into with questions:huh: :huh: :huh: and then there is of course answering to wife:dunno: :doh:

Congrats, Chuck! We'll brace ourselves for turning questions, and since we're experienced in handling those "wife issues", so we can probably offer some help there if you need it, too. ;) You and Nick Clayton are the latest Abysserees. :p :thumb:

Bring those questions on Chuck! Soon you'll be saying.......Hi! My name is Chuck.....I'm a spin crack addict.........BEWARE! There are no 12 step programs for spin crack addicts:D !

Congrats, Chuck! We'll brace ourselves for turning questions, and since we're experienced in handling those "wife issues", so we can probably offer some help there if you need it, too. ;) You and Nick Clayton are the latest Abysserees. :p :thumb:

Vaughn is there anyway that I could have your phone number to you could talk to her direct?:eek: :eek: :eek: You are probably going to say something like "Chuck who" right.:zzz:

Bring those questions on Chuck! Soon you'll be saying.......Hi! My name is Chuck.....I'm a spin crack addict.........BEWARE! There are no 12 step programs for spin crack addicts:D !

I already told the wife that you were the one that caused this. She believes me, I think:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I will keep working on her to make her believe that it was Vaughn and Ken that done it. You guys are in a world of hurt.:bang: :bow: :bang: :crash: :crash:
Chuck

OK, all of you pros need to help me with what I need to buy before my wife catchs up with Vaughn and Ken. What is a good tool set? Don't want to just buy junk, but can not afford the best there is either.
Thanks,
Chuck

Vaughn is there anyway that I could have your phone number to you could talk to her direct?:eek: :eek: :eek: You are probably going to say something like "Chuck who" right.:zzz:
No speeka da Englees. :p :rofl:

OK, all of you pros need to help me with what I need to buy before my wife catchs up with Vaughn and Ken. What is a good tool set? Don't want to just buy junk, but can not afford the best there is either.
Thanks,
Chuck
Many of us start out on the Harbor Freight HSS (high-speed steel) chisel set for about $40 or so. Hard to beat in the "bang for the buck" department. Unlike some HF stuff, this set of tools is pretty decent for starting, but like most HF stuff, there are better tools available when it's time to upgrade. This is also a good set to experiment with sharpening techniques with, since you won't feel too guilty grinding away the steel as you learn.The next step above the HF stuff would probably be the Benjamin's Best tools from Penn State Industries. The Pinnacle tools at Woodcraft are also good quality for their price point (in my limited experience).

I'll let some of the other guys chime in with their suggestions.

Hmmm... this seems to be a universal problem. I showed Doorlink bowl #1. She said, and I quote:

"Why are you spending time teaching yourself how to make something we don't need?"

So now, since her favorite color is purple, I working on a purpleheart bowl for her.

Needless to say, she remains unimpressed... :(

Thanks,

Bill

Hmmm... this seems to be a universal problem. I showed Doorlink bowl #1. She said, and I quote:

"Why are you spending time teaching yourself how to make something we don't need?"

I'd throw her back in the river and get a bigger worm. If she doesn't like that purpleheart, send it to me. :rofl: :rofl:

My husband used to tell his friends that he had the most fantastic wife, because she'd rather go to a hardware/tool store that any jewelry store!!

Chuck, blame it on me, I doubt she can get me all the way over here :D

Bill, you just wait, my lovely wife had the same feelings, "Oh great................. another bowl..............:rolleyes: "

Then she started to give them away, and the people who got them were blown away, happy, and so thankful, they went on and on about how nice a gift it was got get, something handmade, and beautiful....... :thumb:

My lovely wife now asks if I have a nice bowl that she can have as a gift to "So-and-so" for a present etc. When she found out how happy the local priest and priestess were with their pens, and how they did not bat an eye at a $40 price tag if they wanted to buy more, she changed her tune on my pens too.

Don't worry, the skills will come, just keep plugging away, get that DVD and some facework tools.

Cheers!

Chuck ....Consider joining a local turning club. At the AAW website you can find out if there is a club nearby. Turners by nature are generous with showing those of us learning, how to do it. A book I'd recommend...."Wood turning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley.....Another DVD "Turning Wood" by Richard Raffan...Enjoy the journey!

Hi Chuck,

I purchased the pinnacle set when I got my lathe. I heard they are decent and in the one time that I have used them I think they worked ok; remember this is my first time turning so my experience is limited to be kind.

Are Sobrys any good for long turm use?
Thanks,
Chuck

I have several Sorby's. They rate right up there among the best IMHO. I'm a big man and their handle fit my hands quite well. I like Sorby.

I don't know where you are located but one of the inmates here got me to using Robert Larson tools. They Sheffield steel, HSS that are manufactured in England and the handles are put on them here in the US. I was given some a year ago and bought some more at a hardware store 30 miles from my homen. They are good tools, too at a lesser price.

Hey Chuck, I don't have any experience yet with turning other than one pen under my belt but hopefully soon. I do recommend two DVD's that I got for a present and were excellent. They were both very informative and the guy also has a dry sense of humor, they are: "Beyond The Basic Bowl" and "Turned Bowls Made Easy" by Bill Grumbie. I also have two DVD's by Richard Raffan who shows how to make other turn thingys. I also went ahead and bought myself a set of Robert Sorby tools. In a previous thread I gloaded a little. I was able to get them with a really nice discount. I can't wait to actually try them. I have heard alot of good reviews on them. Good luck getting started. :thumb:

Wow what service!!

Hi all,:wave:
Ordered the Rikon mini on Tuesday morning about 10AM. Big ole Fed X drove up last evening about 5:45 with the lathe. Great service congradulations to both Woodcraft and Fed X. Even the wife was excited (took 18 photos) as I started unpacking. Thanks to all for all of the help and suggestions.
I told her that it belonged to Ken and Vaughn so please send money:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks to all for your help.
Chuck

Attachments

• DCP01547 (576 x 432).jpg
    DCP01547 (576 x 432).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DCP01566 (576 x 432).jpg
    DCP01566 (576 x 432).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 11
Stu,
Still have to get the tools. Gave all of mine to FIL. But should be easy to get when Ken and Vaughn send money:rofl: :rofl: Us poor people have to kinda work into it. Don't really have a HF close to me (about 70 miles) so will keep watching and looking.
At least I got the photos posted right this time:doh:
Chuck