a new batch of curved and angled wine bottle holders

Dan Noren

Staff member
coming soon! while i was getting the cutting boards flattened, i picked up some walnut and hickory to make another 6 each of the angled and curved wine bottle holders.

a bit of consternation yesterday, when i found that most of the lumber i bought for this was almost the right size. after a bit of rethinking, i found it was easier to go with 2 of the curved ones, and 11 of the angled ones. either way, i got all of the blanks glued up, and ready for cutting.

Attachments

• 001 blanks glued up.jpg
    001 blanks glued up.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 53
busy day today, got all of the blanks edge planed, and the holes drilled. then i used the templates and drew the outlines of the angled and curved holders. next, it was off to the bandsaw for rough cutting the curved holders. then i cut all of the base miters for the angled holders on the miter saw. then off to the bandsaw with a quickly made jig to make the long angled cut. after all of that, i took the angled off cuts and discovered a bumper crop of door stops (i usually give one away with each purchase at craft shows). all that is left now is final sanding and finishing.

Attachments

• 008 all items ready for sanding.jpg
    008 all items ready for sanding.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 007 angled holders base angle cut.jpg
    007 angled holders base angle cut.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 006 curved holders sanded to lines.jpg
    006 curved holders sanded to lines.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 005 curved holders rough cut.jpg
    005 curved holders rough cut.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 004 angled side planed and drilled.jpg
    004 angled side planed and drilled.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 003 curved side planed and drilled.jpg
    003 curved side planed and drilled.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 002 blanks planed and drilled.jpg
    002 blanks planed and drilled.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 39
You are gonna need a vacation in a couple of months at this pace, Dan. Show season is right around the corner and it looks like you will be ready. Nice work.

funny thing is ted, i will be on vacation starting oct 5th. got all of the items finish sanded and oiled yesterday. now they're ready to sell.

Attachments

• 009 all items oiled and ready to sell.jpg
    009 all items oiled and ready to sell.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 45
almost forgot that i needed to do a quality assurance test on them. would be awfully embarrassing to be at a show and find out they didn't work. :eek:

Attachments

• 010 angled holder test.jpg
    010 angled holder test.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 011 curved holder test.jpg
    011 curved holder test.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 51
fred - yes i do have a template, and when i get a moment when i'm not at the beck and call of the wife :blah: i'll make a pretty copy of it on graph paper and post it.

ryan - yup, freehand and the occasional finger on the spindle sander, 80-100 grit, then freehand with the orbital sander to 220.

ok both freds and ryan, i had a few minutes last night and laid out the template on graph paper. being the frugal, nay, cheap person that i am, i laid out the closest i could to get 2 curved holders out of one blank (and it looks like enough for one angled one as well), since i will be making more of them next season, to catch up with the angled ones. the graph paper is the usual one inch heavy lines, subdivided into quarter inch from there. the original size is 12" by 7", but my scanner isn't that long.

Attachments

• curved wine bottle holder template.jpg
    curved wine bottle holder template.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 18