Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can you make this?

can you make this?

THIS for that price? i have been asked to make three of them.. and this is what they sent me to show what they want.. i am not a production shop.. not even sure karl brogger could make rate at this price?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    from the description
    PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Model # TRIW2427

Internet # 100508080

Store SO SKU # 120194

The Pegasus Exhibit Wall Cabinet features a rich, warm cinnamon finish. The cabinet has 2 doors set on concealed hinges for a clean look, and has an adjustable shelf concealed behind the doors that allows for a customized storage space. The cabinet also features an open shelf at the bottom for convenient access to needed items. The cabinet comes with a secure-mount hanging system for installation.

• Made from birch wood and MDF
    • 2 doors
    • 1 adjustable shelf for customizable storage
    • 1 open, bottom shelf for easy access
    • Rectangular, oil-rubbed knobs
    • Concealed hinges for a sleek look
    • Rich cinnamon finish
    • Secure-mount wall hanging system for installing the cabinet
    • Pre-assembled unit
    • Overall dimensions - 23-3/4 in W. x 8-1/2 in. D. x 27 in. H

I would say "not at that price but what I would make would be made from real wood and not MDF"

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

that is how i see it to, Don.. i dont mind doing the work but if you figure the materials up and look at that you dont get anything for your time. even if your making 3 of them..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

No because I don't make poor quality stuff like that
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've never had any problem being honest with folks who challenge me on price. When they give me the, "I can get that at Walmart for $89", I tell them to go for it. Most people don't understand the meaning of quality.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Even using those materials I would have a hard time hitting that price point. The volume pricing they get on materials and hardware, the fact that they are all set up to spray-paint a "rich warm cinnamon" color all over whatever they cobble it together out of and a hundred more just like it per day, etc. makes it unrealistic for me. I learned from my brother who long ago chose to restore, work on and supply parts for Ferrari, Aston-martin and Jaguar and not Porsche or Mercedes Benz. You can find a Porsche or Benz dealer / shop in almost the density of Starbucks in Los Angeles so they are always in a price war. Provide a better product with a more personalized focus and charge accordingly.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Don't beat yourself up. Don't cheapen your name out in the marketplace. Don't even think about taking this on. You will be losing more than money.

Encourage those folks to go for it elsewhere. Not only do they not know quality, they don't appreciate it either. They are not your core customer if you want to be in the custom woodworking business. Your customers are custom, too. Not the run of the mill who would buy that junk. Those folks failed to qualify to be your customers.

I certainly did! And I would repeat it, again and again.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I've never had any problem being honest with folks who challenge me on price. When they give me the, "I can get that at Walmart for $89", I tell them to go for it. Most people don't understand the meaning of quality.
    I always told them YES I CAN here sign this contract for 3600 unit and I require 50% down. I will start next week..........That shuts them up pretty fast and drives the point home
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Don't beat yourself up. Don't cheapen your name out in the marketplace. Don't even think about taking this on. You will be losing more than money.

Encourage those folks to go for it elsewhere. Not only do they not know quality, they don't appreciate it either. They are not your core customer if you want to be in the custom woodworking business. Your customers are custom, too. Not the run of the mill who would buy that junk. Those folks failed to qualify to be your customers.

100% agree with Carol so ditto.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post

Yeah! What Carol said.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!