Need help identifing this wood

Tom Baugues

I just turned this piece and I was calling it "hedge" wood however as I'm putting the finish on it and need to sign the bottom I want to make sure I have the wood type correct. I got it from a lady who was having this cut out of a fence row growing in her back yard. I've been doing some research.....does this look like it could be "Eastern Redbud" to you? The end was sealed so it looks darker but from looking at the bark.....I'm thinking Redbud?????

Attachments

• IMG_1384 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1384 (Medium).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Tom!, I don't care what kind of wood it is, it is beautiful! You have done an awesome job turning it. Golly that is pretty! If you lived in my part of the country I would be thinking Mulberry.

Paul Hinds has a hobby of identifying wood - his extraordinary reference with MANY detailed pictures is at http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm

Paul's site has 38,600 pictures of 420 different types of wood. His photo techniques for color and detail are extraordinary. It has become such a reference that many people have contributed to the discussion of different types. For example, several years ago I did a lot of work with ipe, and discovered his site said it was too hard to turn, so I sent him a small bowl turned from ipe (at the very bottom of his page on ipe). Yes I have always been cranky and contrary.