Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: encryption software for my lap top ?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

encryption software for my lap top ?

Darren, Brent or anyone else who might know. what is a good but won;t brake the bank encryption software. I need to put it on my lap top. In my business I get a lot o Personal info on my clients like Social Security, D.O.B. and their medical history and I an now being told that the Government want me to use some sort of encryption software to protect the client Personal information so what have any of you out there used?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Maybe some light reading while you wait for those more informed?...ES Reviews
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Maybe some light reading while you wait for those more informed?...ES Reviews
    Thanks Ken, I looked at it and I will get back to it when I have a clearer head...lol
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Thanks Ken, I looked at it and I will get back to it when I have a clearer head...lol
    tough reading most anything with beer goggles on
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

What os are you running Don? If you've got windows 8 or 8.1 pro, you may already have BitLocker installed, if not Symantec has one, but is around $110. There are open source ones, TrueCrypt appears to be out of development now, so wouldn't recommend it, but there is one called Discryptor, which I haven't used.

If you've got a Mac, it has a built in File Vault which should work.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I am still on windows 7.

Yer sunk.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Darren, Brent or anyone else who might know. what is a good but won;t brake the bank encryption software. I need to put it on my lap top. In my business I get a lot o Personal info on my clients like Social Security, D.O.B. and their medical history and I an now being told that the Government want me to use some sort of encryption software to protect the client Personal information so what have any of you out there used?
    LOL

It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Yer sunk.
    Yer a lot a help Carol
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Don you may wish to take a look at this

http://www.encryptstick.com/

They have a press release out specifically targeting the HIPPA matter

http://www.encryptstick.com/in-the-n...-releases.html

And Bitlocker is available on windows 7 you just have to upgrade to the higher levels of windows 7 to get it. I think its Ultimate or Enterprise

See the comparison chart here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...mparison_chart

New ultimate will cost you around $300 but i guess there are upgrades available.
    cheers