Need Advice for a commission to build a reliquary

Kevin Sadaj

I've been asked to build a reliquary for an Orthodox Church on the east coast of the US. I've been given free reign on the design other than the size, which will be 14" x 7" or so, and the lid.

My question is this. They want a regular lid; when that is opened, there will be a glass lid underneath that will allow the relics to be viewed and also to provide access. But mostly it's just for viewing only, hence the glass.

I've looked and looked for something like a "double hinge" (not sure of the term) but to no avail.modes anything like this exist.

Anyone have an idea of what this technique/installment/whatever-it's-called would be? I thought about having the top lid have it's hinge on the back (as a normal box would) and then the hinge for the glass on the front, so I could save space on installing the hinge.

Basically, this is going to be a very special box built with exotic woods and finished using French polish technique and the best hardware made. but none if the guilding or jewels as one would assume on a reliquary.

I am not a professional woodworker. Just an enthusiastic hobbyist who thoroughly enjoys making boxes. Thank you for your time and insights.

Hmm, interesting problem.

What about a lid on a lid? Basically have a lid with the glass in it and then another lid on top of that?

Or maybe have the glass fixed and then have front (or back?) be a second opening.

The glass wouldn't need to be opened very often, would it? Could you put the glass into a frame that sits on a ledge inside the box?

How deep is the box and how thick do you intend to make the sides? Are the sides going to be glassed or solid wood? What is your plan for the way the outer lid and box come together?

Last edited:
This is a Soss Bh124 Barrel Hinge.

It is brass and the two ends are about pencil eraser size. they lock hard into a drilled hole with a tiny screw.

PIC-0102.jpg

Maybe something like this vs a traditional hinge. these are tiny and strong.

(Note: the Soss hinge has two different barrel sizes. Rocklers are matched ends.)

Maybe this could be embeded in box back wall and used to lift the glass, then a traditional hinge for the lid?

Rockler has some other nifty non-tradtional hinges too:

http://www.rockler.com/hidden-barrel-hinges-select-size

Also, don't forget picuture frames have non-glare glass that's easier to see through.

Good Luck with your project.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your replies. The box will have solid wood sides, about 3/4" thick and the lid will be the standard cut off using the table saw. I really like the idea of the glass sitting on a ledge. Yes, the items will bascially be put in once and probably stay there forever. So, in order to execture this, I'd basically be making like a little window pane. Wow, this is great!