Shhhhhhh...

Figured I better give an update, less some may think old what's his name has visited...Nope, just been in slow gear on this of late....Got the garden turned over and put to bed for the winter. Shed cleaned and straightened, put a few minutes on running the snow blowers in prepping and a few minutes burning out the gas in the mower along with an oil change....

Anyways, just getting a start on some finishing...LOML gave the all clear to start in the house as the weather here has been so-so, too cool for finish work and too warm for a fire...
Pic 001.jpgPic 002.jpg

Still need to glue on the fret board and install the frets. Also planning on making the bridge tomorrow...
So there you have it, updated :D

Ooooooh its a looker. What i dont get is why the good looking wood is always on the rear that faces the body and is hidden.
Is that Mi walnut?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That is really gorgeous. I am not a musician - though I love music. I cannot play a guitar - tried it. I love listening. I love looking at guitars and go into music stores from time to time. I admire guitars when I see them being played. I love the woods and finishes.

I love yours - the Walnut is awesome.

Thanks guys, no update on the bridge or anything guitar related...dangburn 13 year old pc running XP gave up the ghost with some nasty virus I couldn't remove/contain. So I've had the priviledge of relearning/updating my Linux{Ubuntu} skills for the past 2 days....yipee :pullhair: :D

Ooooooh its a looker. What i dont get is why the good looking wood is always on the rear that faces the body and is hidden.
Is that Mi walnut?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The walnut was Mi bought Rob, though at Rockler for an arm & leg :doh:...I agree with you on the show-side statement...nearest I can explain is that certain woods are considered 'tone' woods more than others, and with my tonal deafness that's about the best I can offer :rofl: :eek:

Someday Larry someday, I promise! :wave:

Yeah - I have heard that some wood have better tone that others. Seems the plain stuff sounds as good as the really pretty stuff - and visa versa.

Electric Guitars are not so dependent on tone as far as I know.

Yeppers, my thoughts as well :eek: ...What I really need in tonality is something with a terrible screeching sqawking sound to drown out my attempts at singing :rofl:

" ...What I really need in tonality is something with a terrible screeching sqawking sound to drown out my attempts at singing" :rofl:. Now that is something I can supply...screeching squawking that is.

Enjoy,
JimB

That is a fabulous job you did with that fabulous walnut! Congratulations!

Looks gorgeous Ken, although I have a question, will the fret board stick on it as you already varnished it (or looks like)? Let me say that I have no idea on how guitars are made and in what order are they assembled.

Thanks Toni, good eye :thumb: I find it's easier to just finish the whole thing and then outline the fretboard and the bridge with a razor blade. Then I slowly scrape the finish back to bare wood to allow adhesion. I'm not much of a finisher, and this seems to help keep me sort of, stress free :D

@ Jim B., we'd make quite a pair on stage...:rofl:

Shop time has been little and far between lately. With winter almost upon us, I've been scratching at the 'to-do' list and the 'would like to-do' list so very little progress to report.

Ended up with some Yucatan rosewood for the fretboard, as some may know, Ebony is not only expensive, but durn near impossible to find. This was the only locally available "rosewood" I could find but after getting some Blo on it, I'm happy :D

Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg
Picture 003.jpg Picture 004.jpg
Picture 005.jpg

Sorry it's the same low quality photo's, I'm hoping{again,sigh} Santa might bring me an upgrade. :santa:
The blo {as I'm sure most can tell} is wet in the photo's. Put on 3 coats today, will let it set for a day or two and probably put a couple more on for kicks & grins.

Still haven't started on the bridge or nut work, but at this point slo-mo is working for me so I'm not going to push anything ;)

WhaddaYa know, finally got a few moments back at it.

Got the bridge ready for sanding...
Bridge1.JPG

Here's approximately where she'll lay...
Bridge2.JPG

and from the other end of the project, bought some Gotoh machine heads{tuners}, drilled for the attachment screws and awaiting final finish. Then all that should be left is cleaning off a spot for the bridge gluing and finish up the nut & saddle, attaching the neck to the body...& then> string singing time...guitar strings singing that is, I won't subject ya'll to any more of my vocal torture :rofl:
Tuners1.JPG

Tuners2.JPG

Tuners3.JPG

Hopefully one more post aughta do-it! :thumb:

Oh yeah, just remembered, strap buttons still need to be mounted...& knowing me, I'm sure I'm probably forgetting more :eek::D

Thanks Steve! Not really planning on a guard, hoping to learn some finger picking with this one. Some may have noticed that the string width is going a little bit towards the large/wide side, I can use all the room these fat fingers can get. :rofl:

But I wish I had another hunk of that walnut, as it sure would look good. & as you say> tie it all together. That and to say that I won't ever use a pick on it would be stretching it quite a bit ;) :D