Online Carving class

Roy Millsaps

Ok here is the pattern we will be using for this online carving class, there is three pictures of the same pattern an I will explain each one
This pattern comes from Lora S. Irish

View attachment 85975

Main Pattern please have this one printed to the size of your wood
Next one is showing the main lay out lines to be transferred to your wood I use carbon paper for this

View attachment 85976

As you can see the dark lines is what is transferred to the wood

View attachment 85977

Next number each area like this this is the different levels of this carving it will help you when we get started, remember go off your main pattern

Reminder the online class starts on 30 October this year there is no time limit in doing this but please ask questions here in this thread an post pictures as you go

Looks like fun but challenging.

-Will you have a "finished" project that we can look at to see how it should look when it is completed (completed by someone who knows what they are doing. )

-Under normal conditions for a beginner, what is a realistic time frame for completing the project? And for yourself, how long would it take you to complete?

Just curious. Thanks. Rob

Roy,
What material - Basswood, etc?

What size material - thickness?

If we know that, we can have it on hand and be ready when the class starts.

Looks like fun but challenging.

-Will you have a "finished" project that we can look at to see how it should look when it is completed (completed by someone who knows what they are doing. )

-Under normal conditions for a beginner, what is a realistic time frame for completing the project? And for yourself, how long would it take you to complete?

Just curious. Thanks. Rob

Here is an example I did a last year, it took 2 weeks to do. Also It was burned some an painted
I figured its going to take someone about 1 month if they put 1 hour per day 4 times a week

Photo0111.jpg

to those who were involved with this thread.. the art that was posted by roy has been deleted by him, due to a possible copyright infringement.. the art was for sale by the creator in a book and on line.. which you can do by going to lori irish's website.. the future of the class is up to roy.. sorry for the inconvenience this may have imposed on anyone, but we need to stand by what is right..

Everyone I removed the Pattern due to I didn't know I was violating a Copy right I will be post a new picture of a fish, it is a Butterfly Peacock Bass, I will post the pictures with in a couple days, When I do classes here an at woodcraft the students get the book so there is no copyright issue. I have been talking to Lora an we are working together on a pattern for me to use on forums but its going to take some time
Roy

Ok everyone sorry for the mess-up on my part, when I do class here an at Woodcraft the book is given to them so there is no copyright issue but can't do that here on any forum but here as promised, Butterfly Peacock Bass just finished drawing it an did the numbers for everyone. Now I did not add the scales yet that is going to take some time an is subjective to ones point of view

So here is the main Picture an Yes you can copy it as part of this forum only an use it in your projects an yes like any pattern it can be improved on so help yourself

Buterfly Bass 1.jpg

Now here is the Number system I am going to be using

Buterfly Bass 2.jpg

Now as you can see the fins an splines on top are sharp points so I did a quick drawing of the splines but fell free to change them if you want

Bottom front fin I going to undercut so it is lifted from the wood, I'm going to remove the material under it, this fin will be thin an will do the undercut the last thing

Buterfly Bass 3.jpg

Glad you got everything sorted out. While waiting I practiced sharpening and did some "hacking" on one of the spare blanks I picked up.

IMG05524sm.jpg

Rob

The Fish that got away....

Larry, there was a fish on it but it slipped the hook and jumped right out of the carving.....and it was huge....at least 3' long... weighed at least 30 pound and could even wistle a tune.......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Roy, The flower pedals are undercut slightly. The leaf on the left is undercut about a 1/4". Some of the stems were undercut from both sides with just a sliver left underneath. Hard to tell from the photo. Rob