Online Carving class

So far I just gave it a light coat of shellac on both sides. Not sure what the best thing to do with it since the blanks are super dry and suck the shellac up like a sponge.

Still here.

Toolset and the victim board (apologies for the picture quality, the lighting here by the time I get home this time of year is bleh at best and its not getting better!). I'm going to try it with a chunk of alder although I know its fussier than basswood but I don't have much basswood that's easy to get to (there's one piece that _might_ be big enough in the pile if the alder doesn't pan out). Completely willing to redo things though if/when it fails :D I've managed to do some "ok" carvings in alder before - its sort of a "how good of a job do you do at sharpening" challenge in some ways, more practice there wouldn't hurt either!

edit: wood is 5.5" by more than long enough.

IMG_1793.jpgIMG_1794.JPG

Still need to scale the plan and transfer it, should be able to get to that either tomorrow or sometime this weekend (I'll continue to claim that I'm likely to be one of the laggarts but still playing along so please don't hold up the show for me).

Sorry. J-O-B got in the way for me.

Carol,

Roy did say you have a year to complete so I'm still counting you in as a delayed participant :p You can't get out of this that easy!! ;)

Last edited:
Ryan,

J-O-B is a one year contract with an option to renew. Carving comes in so low on the list right now, not worth mentioning. Right after J-O-B comes building the house. Really think I will be too busy.

This is me learning how to say 'no' to more things. It would be fun, but going crazy is not!

I will get the pattern on the wood tonight. Had to bring the blank to work to adjust the size of the picture on the office copier. Rob

Use a sharp knife or excoto blade an cut into the wood around the pattern at a 90 degree angle . You are going to cut a groove around the outside of the pattern as you can see in the picture I'm going to do something different I going to give my fish some movement as it is swimming I'll explain it after the picture

Here is 1 of 2, I am doing

Bass 1.jpg

Here in this picture is what I'm talking about giving the fish the look of movement

Bass 1-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the outlining an removal of the material of the outline of the bass do this all the way around the bass , take your time an yes you can come off the pattern some if you want

Peacock Bass 02.jpg

Picture above is an Example as you can see the center fin was done also but not deep at all

Important Note : You do not have to cut in between the spines yet you can cut above them an when you are at depth an we slope the top fin then we can do the splines then

Bass 1-2.jpg

I will work on this later tonight. How deep should these cuts go into the wood? 1/8" or deeper?

Normally, my shop time is late night time. Rob

When you have the outline done then you take the outside down for the curvature of the carving you will need to keep up with the fins on the outside. Here is a picture what I'm talking about I am using a gouge to take the outside down before I shape the Bass. When you are getting ready to start the shaping of the Bass this helps I will even go deeper when I start the shaping of the bass Just be careful around the spines of the Bass

Bass 2.jpg

Bass 3.jpg

Stage 2

Alright, had the family thing to do the past two days. Finally got out in the shop tonight. Here is where I am:

Fish002.jpg

Rob

Roy, not sure if anybode else is following along, or if I am the only one. If I am the only one, then don't make this lesson a priority. I am in no rush. Rob

LOL Doing outstanding you can always add to the pattern by drawing in a few Lilly pads above the Bass to give the Bass some dimension, the smaller the pad the bigger the Bass an draw a stem down some to the body an remember don't be afraid to go deep, also add some river bed below the Bass now you have made your own pattern

Here is where I'm at now on mine, I haven't added the Lilly pads yet but I will an I'm thinking a frog to

Bass 4.jpg

Now in the next picture I start with the main body behind the head
Important Note Don't do the head yet

To help me with the depth I start from the middle

Class 3.jpg

Here is where I'm at right now

Bass 5.jpg

As you can see I left some of the fins proud I'm going to give the Bass some movement by doing this, I do not undercut theses yet until have reached my max depth with this carving an you want to do all the undercuts as the last thing to do so I don't break it by accident working on an other area

Class 4.jpg

Just wanted to say, although I am not carving right now, I am really enjoying following. Hope to be able to give it a try a little latter in the year. Thanks for doing this, Roy.